General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
CJF
Default head bolts

I had a guy put new heads & timing, water pump etc. on an overheated motor. I told him NOT to touch it if their was block problems, or bad compression etc. He said it was fine, and proceeded. Soon< I realized
this guy was NOT on top of it, when he called me and asked for headbolt
tork specs. He said he could not find them anywhere, however I found them right away on line with diagrams. He finished the reinstallation, but could NOT make the vehicle run. I ended up taking it to a mechanic that got it running (not fixed, just running) the vehicle had bad blowby, and the compression on the whole left bank is not over 30 pounds. (zero in one cylinder) It's pumping water, and oil out the tailpipe. (it did not have oil or water problems before) I am $2500.00 dollars in the red and
need to know anything that might help. (also, is it true that you MUST absolutely change the head bolts when you change heads, or you run a chance of immeadiatly blowing another head gasket?) because he.......did not!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CJF
I had a guy put new heads & timing, water pump etc. on an overheated motor. I told him NOT to touch it if their was block problems, or bad compression etc. He said it was fine, and proceeded. Soon< I realized
this guy was NOT on top of it, when he called me and asked for headbolt
tork specs. He said he could not find them anywhere, however I found them right away on line with diagrams. He finished the reinstallation, but could NOT make the vehicle run. I ended up taking it to a mechanic that got it running (not fixed, just running) the vehicle had bad blowby, and the compression on the whole left bank is not over 30 pounds. (zero in one cylinder) It's pumping water, and oil out the tailpipe. (it did not have oil or water problems before) I am $2500.00 dollars in the red and
need to know anything that might help. (also, is it true that you MUST absolutely change the head bolts when you change heads, or you run a chance of immeadiatly blowing another head gasket?) because he.......did not!
It seems you are talking about a six cylinder engine (I could be wrong). I have an 1988 Isuzu Trooper II and I just finished changing the head (this is a 2.6L 4 cyl engine) I did put the old ones after inspecting them for stretching and other obvious damage. If this person did not torque this bolts in the order prescribed and to the prescribed torque, even with fine bolts the whole thing will fail.
I have the Chilton and Haynes manuals and I do all the fixing myself. That is how I make sure It is done right. When the vehicle is this old paying labor can be as expensive as the value of the vehicle itself.

1988 Isuzu Trooper II
2.6L L4 4x4

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM

That is how I make sure It is done right. When the vehicle is this old paying labor can be as expensive as the value of the vehicle itself.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM

yes it is important to know your parts are in good order before you put them back together even the cylinder threads must be cleaned because the bottom of the thread cannot be used if it cannot be reached due to grit or dibree in the hole>>>> DUH?
to make sure it is done right go to a fully ASE certified mechanic or just buy a new rebuilt engine>

Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM

I have the Chilton and Haynes manuals and I do all the fixing myself. That is how I make sure It is done right. When the vehicle is this old paying labor can be as expensive as the value of the vehicle itself.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM

It is done right go to a fully ASE certified mechanic or just buy a new rebuilt engine.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Corum admirals cup watches seires review - Corum,wrist watches| Atlanta replica jaeger lecoultre Georgia replica watches fake oris big crown watch United States of America Its inside and exterior make this special clock a worthy associate using the Grand Carrera variety and an best showcase for just about any innovative advance in timepiece technology. These corum admirals pot wrist watches signifies the starting of your promising new period in watchmaking blancpain replica using the assure of effective new abilities that allow ever-smaller fraction of your second. The effect on structure and performance of long-term wrist watches and chronographs are not even foreseeable – and Corum requires the lead as quickly as more panerai luminor arktos 44mm swiss watches even though it requires until the commence of development for years. The corum admirals pot watches’ vital patents happen to be filed. Corum ingot wrist watches may possibly be considered a innovative movement within the motorsport stimulated high-class wrist watches classic. The corum ingot wrist watches embodies Corum’s exceptional representative method special in the route of engine activity and his interest for avant-garde structure and technology. The modern-day GT racing car-inspired wrist watches sequence arrived in 07 and found for the marketplace many due to its good visibility and exceptional aesthetics immediately really well-known with wrist watches and motorsport enthusiasts. The structure using the corum ingot wrist watches retains the unique high-class attributes using the Grand Carrera: polished and angled edges curved faceted horns on each sides using the coated titanium with ebenholzfarben metal housing. A unique opening at nine o’clock delivers a seem at for the beating middle using the avant-garde movement using the corum admirals pot trophy watches. More information please visit http://www.yewatch.com/ Corum wrist watches

Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM

told him NOT to touch it if their was block problems, or bad compression etc. He said it was fine, and proceeded. Soon< I realized