General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

A/C compressor problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 AM

I am working on a '95 Trooper. The A/C stopped cooling several weeks ago. No leaks were found in system (fully charged). Diagnosis indicated a new compressor was needed. I installed a new (reman)compressor, expansion valve and drier. The system was also completely flushed before new components installed. The system was then evacuated and charged. The new components worked great except for the compressor was squealing (like a belt slipping). A new belt was installed but made the problem worse. A new (reman)compressor was installed along with new drier. The system cooled great and the compressor was very quiet. After about 6 hrs, the compressor blew a seal and lost all R-134A.

A new (reman) compressor was installed along with new drier. The compressor would not take 1/2 can before it locked up. Yesterday, a new (reman) compressor was installed and did the same as #3.

Has anyone else had this many problems with remanufactured compressors or am I the unluckiest guy on the face of the planet?

Old 06-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

yep,reman aftermarket compressors are junk! dont even waste your time with any reman compressors for any vehicle.isuzu new compressors are expensive,but you get what you pay for.since you flushed the system an kept replacing driers,hopefully you did oil charge the system.not just install the compressor only with the oil that comes in the compressor.the compressor will hold at least 4-6ozs,drier 1 ozs,evap 2oz,condensor 2ozs,plus estimate what was lost over the yrs of evac an recharging,if the system was low on oil to begin with.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:00 PM

I have installed many reman compressors on many different vehicles. I have never experencied this problem before. One new compressor ordered. Should arrive this weekend. Sure hope this works.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 AM

I'm one with you buddy. I've been through the same AC Compressor problem but thanks to my trusted auto mechanic, I was able to fix the problem. You'll get through that problem dude. You can ask help from experts and experienced techs out there.