Engine and Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here...

fuel management

Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 AM
Default fuel management

Hi Guys

Not sure if I am putting this in the correct section.

I am trying to get some information as I am by no means a pro in terms of vehicles and my knowledge is limited to doing the small stuff on my vehicle like changing oil, etc...

I currently have an Isuzu KB220 , 2004, and I love the bakkie and we need the space it gives as well.

The one single problem I have though it the fuel consumption on it. I am only getting about 7.3Km/L. After the last service and tune up I got 8Km/l for about 3 months then it went down to 7.3 again.

Due to financial constraints, this is proving to become problematic , because it would meant hat I would need to sell the bakkie in trade of a smaller , more fuel effecient vehicle.

However, Someone (a backyard mechanic I might add, although he did seem to know his stuff) , suggested that I look at putting in a fuel management system as the fuel consumption would improve dramatically with very little investment.

I am however one of the people who like to get more than one opinion as I have been taken for rides too many times in the past.

So here is my question.....

Will a fuel management system really work and will it make that much difference in fuel consumption to warrant the investment.

Also what will it cost roughly (I am in South Africa , Pretoria, and that guys said I may be looking at about R3K - R5K).

Due to the limited amount of funds, I can not go through the process of putting in a more efficient engine , so is there any other tips you guys can give me for this.

I REALLY do not want to get rid of the bakkie but will need to make a plan in terms of its fuel consumption.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards