Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Electrical Problems Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 PM

I have an 88 Trooper II. Bought it almost a year ago and it has been running great but I have been having a reoccuring electrical problem. Sometimes when I turn on the truck, always when it is cold, some of my dash lights remain on, low fuel, brake, battery, oil, and O2 (O2 is always on). When this happens none of my accessories will work, no fans defrost ect. Radio works but with very little power getting to it, blinkers, head lights, brake lights all work, and I can get heat but only through vent when moving. I dont think the heater is actually working. It has been very cold lately (around 20 degrees F) and this problem has persisted for 4 days non stop, usually when this happens the lights will all turn off after a minute or two and all functionality returns to accessories. A couple of times in these last few days after I have drive the truck for 30 minutes or more when I get home all the lights will still be on, I will turn off the truck and restart, sometimes all the lights will turn off and everything is ok again. It seems to me that the engine compartment has managed to warm up and cures the problem? But this does not always work. I was driving around last night and my truck started to die on me, thought I was running low on gas so I pulled into a gas station and refilled. truck wouldnt restart, battery was dead. Push started the trooper and it fired back up and all lights turned off (luckily) my battery recharged a bit. I let it run a few minutes with all lights off and shut it down. restarted and it fired right up. I let the truck sit again for a few hours and it got very cold again. Went out to drive it home and all lights were back on as usual only made it about halfway home before the battery died again. I am guessing the alternator is not recharging my battery when all my dash lights and accessories are not working. It seems to charge again when all the dash lights turn off. It may have something to do with the freezing temperatures but I have no clue. Anyone have any ideas??

Old 01-24-2007, 06:34 PM

I'm no expert, butI had a similar problem with an '88 Saab. The problem was that the switch, ignition, was sticking and putting the vehicle in "Limp" mode. It had all the same symptoms you are describing. All I had to do was clean the ignition switch. I would try that prior to paying big money to have an electrical check done. You will probably have to remove it and spray it with fast drying solvent, let it dry, put some graphite on the key, insert the key and turn it through the cycle several tines, that's how I fixed mine. Make sure you don't hook the switch back up until it is good and dry, 30 min to and hour.

dm

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
you dont have a electrical problem you have a bad alternator intermitanly not charging.thtas why your accessories like the blower fan doesnt run when it acting up.it gets its power from the regulator on the alternator.good thing its not fuel injected on those models the regulator runs the fuel pump.get a new alternator an youll be fine.those older isuzus are tough vehicles isuzu did well those yrs.esp the troopers an the 2.3,2.2 liter pickups.they were practically indistructible with well maitence