Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

94 Trooper Won’t Start (Sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Hi All,

I have a 94 Trooper Automatic that sometimes will not start. Turn the key and nuthin'. All electronics work, but it won't turn over. If I wait 20 min or so and try again, it usually works. I swapped the relays around and it still does it. Tried different things likemoving gear shift to neutral etc... but same thing. Very random and no common denominator. Starter sounds fine when it does work, plenty of power etc... My wife's gonna kill me if I don't resolve it and prefer not to go to stealership on this.

Thanks!! Dave

Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

most likely its the starter.they can just makae a hard click sound.or nothing at all.if you havent change it yet its do for one.isuzus dont have many ignition switch problems.if its a stick shift,the clutch switch can also produce the same problem.when they go bad it doesnt complete the circuit for the starter to engage.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 PM

i have the same problem

Old 05-17-2007, 08:02 AM

To all that replied to this post and the repost I did a while back, I think I figured out what the problem is. After replacing the starter, it happened again! I was dang p-ssed and started messing with different wires etc... I got frustrated, put the shifter down to low then rammed it into park and, voila, it started. I did this twice and it worked both times. I guess the previous times I tried that method I was too gentle[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]. My guess is that the internals of the neutral safety switch got gunked up w/oily crud and that the cold prevented the mechanical parts of the switch from acting properly. Now that it's warmer, it hasn't happened again. So, until next winter...
Thank you all for your advice.
David