Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Isuzu guru needed for electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 PM

I have a 2001 Rodeo 4 cyl. that has started having some issues. The battery and brake light on the dash board first came on. WhenI accelerated the battery light became brighter. Now the brake light on the dash has gone out, and the ABS light was coming on and off, but the battery light has stayed on. We have had the battery and alternator checked 4 times. The first time it was checked it read that the diodes in the alternator were bad. The next two times we checked both the battery and alternator read good. Finally we went back to the first place and again it read that the diodes were going bad in the alternator. Someone please help!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM

sounds like you may have multiple issues abs and battery light are probably due to a failing alternator and the brake light may be either low brake fluid or something else I would have the alternator replace and then go from there

Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Battery light along with the brake light (and often other random lights) are classic signs of a bad alternator. These trucks are very picky about having the right power and do odd things when there is a problem.

Go with a Bosch, Napa, or OEM rebuilt alternator. The basic parts store rebuilts wont last more then a few months.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 PM

You both were right! The alternator was overcharging and causing different light to come on. It was also making the truck surge when driving, kind of like it was in the wrong gear or something. I don't know what brand name the mechanic used but for the price I payed for it I sure hope it was one of the ones that you mentioned. We did check with NAPA and theirs only had a year warranty on it. The one that the mechanic put in has a life-time warranty. I will check on the name brand tomorrow. Thank you both for your help!

Old 06-24-2007, 05:54 PM

just to let you know for the future, I had a customer bring me in an aftermarket alt and I installed it buy the time I had pulled the alt and replaced it 5 times we finally found a good aftermarket, So next time you look for an alt buy a factory alt or you'll have problems

Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Well, I don't know if this is any clue or not, but the mechanic said he put in a world parts brand. I hope it is a good one. Now we are seeing the Check Engine light coming on. I'm beginning to regret ever buying this vehicle. I have a 91 Acura and have had it since 96, and it has never given me half as much trouble as this truck has and it wasleased new. Lesson learned. Another gripe I have about these trucks is that the 4cyl. engines couldn't pull a hair out of a wet biscuit. They just aren't built for power.