Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

94 Trooper won’t start

Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 AM

94 Trooper 5 speed manual

Here is the deal. Me and this trooper know each other pretty well but it's pissing me off. About a month ago I noticed it draging when starting but it would always start so did not worry to much. So the other day I get in and turn key and nothing. Not a sound, nada. Now what was weird to me is that all the dash lights, locks, windows etc all work fine. Battery seemed to be good. So I jump it just to make sure. It starts so I am like ok lets get a new battery. They batter place said it was fine. Put it back tried to jump. Nothing and nothing ever since. It could be the starter I guess but I never heard it going out. I am thinking relay or clutch pedal switch. But I have not delt to much with that. Any ideas or info on such problems would be greatly appreciated. I messed with the switch a little just to see if it was stuck but it was going in and out fine. Just thought it might be something small before starter time. My trooper is sneaky like that. But we gots history and for 180,000 miles a clutch or 2 and a handfull of alternators we are all good.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Hard starting for a couple of days
and then yesterday I got in and tried to start and I get nothing except one
click from around the coil area. I check the battery and the auto parts
store said it was fine. Charged it over night, put it back in and still
nothing.

Lights are bright and work fine, stereo works, interior lights work. Just
can't get it to start. Checked fuses and they seem to be fine.

I guess it could be the starter but it seems weird that it won't even try to
turn the engine over.

Any suggetions?
Jesse

Old 11-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Yours sounds a little diff. from Mr. kinsmens. Start with the easy stuff. Battery is fine, lights work, radio works. Lights and radio take very small amount of power compared to a starter. Check the connections, the starter sucks huge amounts of power and needs a very good contact to the terminal. Clean the terminals of all gunk, check the hot line going into the starter alot of these are just held on by a single nut, and can come loose. Next check your grounds, again clean all gunk from connections. Listen very close when you turn the key, make sure there is realy no noise coming from the starter. Try these things first and let us know what comes of it.[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM

I did all of the of what Keefbikes is saying because it is absolutely right. But at the end of it all my mechanic replaced the starter and it works fine. It was so weird that it would not make a sound. i looked for weeks at it knowing that it was not the starter. But the battery, connections and relay all worked but the starter would not turn or make a noise. Once I new that the relay was clicking i checked out all the starter connections etc but they were fine. Its sounds weird but it sounds like your starter. My Trooper has about 180,000 on it and this is my first starter problem. Plenty of alternator issues but this was a first to me. Start on first turn no dragging so I guess that fixed it. Make sure you don't get screwed. A rebuild isn't that much. My guy did it for $220 parts and labor but my friend who has the same ride replaced his and they charged him like $600. So make sure they are not pulling one over on you. It is probably a GM starter anyway. Good luck, hope it is your battery or something.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
OK, I've had my 1999 Isuzu Amigo for less than a year now and have enjoyed it from day one. However, lately I've also noticed that my starter has been acting up in the morning or whenever I the car's been sitting for a long period of time, like when I'm at work, when I try to start it, it won't turn over like the battery is dead. Maybe it'll catch a few times, then I just get a clicking sound (I'm assuming from the starter). So far, after a few more tries and a few more clicks it'll start up. All with a few minutes. I've also taken it to check the charging system and both locations have said my charging system is good and my battery is good. ...They did check all my connections and what they could see and from what I could see, everything is in place, tight and secure. ...Now I'm no electrical expert, but I'm assuming that my alternater and all other parts, as part of the charging system, is good since I've been told my charging system is good. ...So after reading all the posts related to starting problems, I'm inclined to think it's my starter. So this forum has been very helpful to help me at least sorta pin point and diagnose my own problem. However, after the car is warmed up, it's starts over fine. Only when the car is cold or has been sitting for a while is it difficult to start. But anyway, I'm gonna change the starter when I have a chance sometime this week, unless I get stuck on the side of the road before the weekend. I'll report back later with the results. If it doesn't work, I'll have to take it to a local repair shop.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
OK, as I promised, here's the update. I took my amigo to the local shop and they confirmed that it was my starter. So they replaced it and my Amigo is ready to go once again. Even though this was a simple case of replacing the starter, my exhaust manifold had to be moved out of the way. Unfortunately the bolt was frozen and wouldn't budge causing great difficulty. After soaking the bolt with some WD-40 over the weekend, the bolt still didn't come out. If they hit it, it could break the manifold and that would have to be replaced andcosting muchmore. The mechanic finally drilled and tapped for a new bolt, without any extra cost, but with a lot of time, effort and swearin' on their part. So although it was an easy fix, it wasn't easy.