Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

2002 Trooper Pre-Buy questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Hey everyone, decided to join the forums to get some advice on whether or not to purchase a Trooper or not. Here are some of the details:

2002 Isuzu Trooper 4X4 Limited 3.6L
Automatic Transmission
Fully Loaded
141,000 miles

The car is listed as well maintained, mostly highway miles, and driven by a woman. The transmission was replaced last year, and new tires were just put on a few months ago.

I basically decided to look at purchasing the Trooper for a few reasons. I love the design, I love the ability to get through everything, especially because I am attending school next year in Northern Michigan where there is A LOT of snow, and I hear that Isuzu engines can last a pretty long time when maintained properly. Not to mention, that gigantic moonroof is pretty cool!

I am looking to know your take on whether or not this would be a good buy. Are there any problems I should look out for, or be aware of for this year and model? Would you recommend I get it inspected? If so, by who? I am pretty sure there are no longer any Isuzu dealerships in my area, so that eliminates that option. We''re going to test drive the car at the end of this week, so hopefully I''ll have a list of things to look out for and questions to ask the owner.

Thanks for any and all replies.

P.S. In case I do end up getting this Trooper, do you have any suggestions on intake and exhaust modifications? I know the gas mileage isn''t great, and I''m not too worried about it ''cause next year I won''t even be driving that much, but a few extra MPG''s will help when I do make the drive 3 hours home once a month or so.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Pass on the Trooper...eats up too much oil for the 96 up to 2002 models.
Check other posts in here and they will tell you.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM

I have been driving my 2001 Troop sinceI bought it brand new. It really has been a pretty good truck for me.I have heard some folks complain about high oil usage butI have also heard the repair was cleaning the PCV valve often. Again, this might be a specific vehicle problem because my truck doesnt burn or consume oil at all. I get it changed every 3k at the local quick lube.

Major problems for my truck with the 3.5L V6 have been 3 intake manifold gaskets and a new transfer case due to a horrible grinding that just apeared out of nowhere! Luckly, everything was covered under warranty! (Probably the reason Isuzu has pulled out of the US!)

The rest has all been routine maintainace stuff; Brakes (front were expensive! $400+) Tires, filters, etc. I looking into a timing belt replacement job. Could be close to $700. Less than half that if I do it myself.

An easy intake upgrade is a AirHog or K&N filter. I still have the OE muffler!

I would recommendpulling a Carfax to see a record of issues with your vehicle.

Good luck, DEAN

Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Harfend

I have been driving my 2001 Troop sinceI bought it brand new. It really has been a pretty good truck for me.I have heard some folks complain about high oil usage butI have also heard the repair was cleaning the PCV valve often. Again, this might be a specific vehicle problem because my truck doesnt burn or consume oil at all. I get it changed every 3k at the local quick lube.

Major problems for my truck with the 3.5L V6 have been 3 intake manifold gaskets and a new transfer case due to a horrible grinding that just apeared out of nowhere! Luckly, everything was covered under warranty! (Probably the reason Isuzu has pulled out of the US!)

The rest has all been routine maintainace stuff; Brakes (front were expensive! $400+) Tires, filters, etc. I looking into a timing belt replacement job. Could be close to $700. Less than half that if I do it myself.

An easy intake upgrade is a AirHog or K&N filter. I still have the OE muffler!

I would recommendpulling a Carfax to see a record of issues with your vehicle.

Good luck, DEAN

Are those problems you mentioned really common to the 3.5L engine Troopers??? I''m thinking of getting one and I want to research how much possible $$$ it will cost me to maintain one. Thanks.