Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1999 Trooper Hood Won’’t Open-Bad Latch

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Just curious if anyone has had the luxury of finding out how to get their hood opened up when their hood release latch breaks/stops working. I went to open my hood yesterday and I noticed that there was a LOT of play in the handle under the dash when I pulled itand the hood wouldn''t open. I still can''t get it open nowand neither can my mechanic. I thought maybe the hood was frozen with the low temps here in the east, so I ran the car for about :45 minutes and still no joy.

He said he''s going to try a few more things, but I was curious if anyone had run into this issue with a Trooper.

We tried the most obvious things (pushing down on the hood while moving the handle under the dash, moving a screwdriver around the latch in the small space between the grill and the opening of the hood, screaming at the thing....)

Can someone take a look at their latch where the hood meets the engine compartment and tell me how they THINK the latch could be popped based on what the clasp/hasp looks like? I wasn''t quite sure of what the contraption looked like as I was futzing with the damn thing trying to open it with a screwdriver/lever/shim...and obviously nothing worked.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Experienced the same latch failure this past week. I just came in from outside after banging the mess out of my hood just above the latch with no joy (left a nice dent though) so add that to the list of methods that don''t work. Let me know if you have any luck and I will do the same.

Bighern

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Ended up taking car to a body shop and they popped the hood open quickly (did not share their secret). Problem was the cable failed. Replacement cost $32 4 hours labor cost $200. ouch!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bighern
Ended up taking car to a body shop and they popped the hood open quickly (did not share their secret). Problem was the cable failed. Replacement cost $32 4 hours labor cost $200. ouch!
Sorry I didn''t reply back sooner-they were able to get mine open and adjusted the cable in some way/shape/form...so now it seems like I truly have to pull the handle on the dash ALL THE WAY up to the ceiling to get it to "pop"whereas in the past all it took was a quick flick. So, I asked them to order me a new cable and when it comes in I''ll drop the truck off to have it replaced.