Isuzu  Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum

Isuzu Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/)
-   Trooper (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/trooper-18/)
-   -   1993-1994 3.2 Engine Swap (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/trooper-18/1993-1994-3-2-engine-swap-74602/)

TigerIron 01-17-2018 12:16 AM

1993-1994 3.2 Engine Swap

Hello.
I've always liked the Trooper, and today I decided to buy one opportunistically. It's a 1993, with a 3.2 & an automatic transmission. The trans is history on this, so I will locate and put a transmission into it.

But now, I discovered a second one, a 1994, with a STD transmission, and a 3.2 engine that is BLOWN.

If I buy BOTH, will the 1993 ENGINE (currently mated to an automatic) fit into the 1994 with the STD transmission? Is the BOLT pattern, especially the flywheel, of the STD transmission going to fit the engine formerly attached to the automatic vehicle? Bare in mind, the Good engine is in the 1993, going forward.

My primary concern is the crank being different.

I'd assume the transfer case may be worth saving, as well as many other parts from the 1993.

Gforce junky 02-02-2019 02:21 PM

I know this is an old thread but thought I would reply anyway for just in case.
I converted my second gen trooper to a manual transmission after my auto died so the answer is yes it will bolt up. The engine actually has two different bolt patterns, one for auto and one for manual although they do share some of the same bolt holes.
You will have to change the dowel locations, lower engine to trans brackets, splash shield, and adjust the idle on the auto motor. You will also have to use the exhaust from the manual minus the manifolds.

I did did it a few years ago so I might have missed something but it’s all pretty straight forward.

TigerIron 02-02-2019 03:24 PM

Swap Trans

Originally Posted by Gforce junky (Post 87993)
I know this is an old thread but thought I would reply anyway for just in case.
I converted my second gen trooper to a manual transmission after my auto died so the answer is yes it will bolt up. The engine actually has two different bolt patterns, one for auto and one for manual although they do share some of the same bolt holes.
You will have to change the dowel locations, lower engine to trans brackets, splash shield, and adjust the idle on the auto motor. You will also have to use the exhaust from the manual minus the manifolds.

I did did it a few years ago so I might have missed something but it’s all pretty straight forward.

Well, THANKS!
I still have this vehicle. So, this gives me an option.
I indeed need a donor vehicle, and I may swap-out the engine anyway.
I have a solid body, decent interior, lifted & 33" tires.
Only have $300 into the project, so I'm not buried in it.

I appreciate your reply. I'll start the hunt. A lot of Isuzu's sold around here, for parts.
I have no smog inspection or bureaucracy to deal with, it's just a project vehicle.

Regards,
Arthur

Gforce junky 02-02-2019 03:39 PM

Wow I didn’t expect a reply so fast considering...

I'm new to this forum and was searching for engine swaps and that’s how I came across your thread.
I developed a rod knock so I decided to start the ball rolling on a Lexus 4L V8 (1UZFE) engine and thought to check if anyone has done it but looks like the answer is no so I’m on my own lol. I’ll probably start a thread one I get the flywheel sorted out.

TigerIron 02-04-2019 02:28 AM

That is one hell of a swap.

I did a Chevy V6 into a Volvo Diesel, a few years ago. But, that included a transmission.

I am comparing this swap with a Chevy V8 into a LR Discovery. It is just a beater, so I am doing the numbers before deciding which project will be more fun (afterward).

Good Luck!

Gforce junky 02-06-2019 07:23 PM

That would be a pretty nice swap. I’m kinda in the same boat as I don’t want to spend much money on it.
I really do like the trooper and it’s a pretty good suv minus the engine and auto transmission. The transmission I covered so hopefully the swap will be inexpensive. I also have some spare parts as well as access to more spare parts so yet another reason to keep it.

Gforce junky 02-11-2019 11:14 PM

I just remembered that the skid plates are different as well because they bolt to the cross member.