Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1991 Trooper 2.8 V6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Hi all,

I just registered onto this forum. I own a 1991 Isuzu Trooper 2.8 V6, 5speed. It has193k miles on the original engine. Bought it when it had 160k miles. Still running pretty good. The engine is a bit weak though (esp. when I pull my fishing boat).Anyway, I have a couple questions.

1)At some point I mayreplace the engine with a rebuilt one. The guy I bought it from said he thought I could put a stronger 4.3cyl V6 in there (he said the 2.8 V6 that is in there was from GM (used in the S10 blazer??), and that they could upgrade it to a 4.3 with slight modifications). Does anyone know anything about whether I could do this or if this would be advisable? I am just looking for a bit more power if I ever decide to replace the engine. I like the truck a lot and want to keep it for some time, so am willing to invest a bit in a good engine if need be.

2) Since I have owned the truck the back brakes make a loud squeaking (almost rubbing noise), similar to what you would get when your brake shoes on your bicycle would rub on the rims. The mechanic I go to tells me that is common with Troopers. He said the brakes are mechanically sound, it is just an irritating noise. Is this something I could fix with a pair of new rotors and better pads.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jerry

Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I have a good used motor here with only 109k miles. Near Toronto Canada. Where are you?

Bob

Old 08-08-2007, 10:52 PM

if you want more ponys for your buck that 4.3 is the way to go, plus there's a hell of alot more upgardes you can get for it, like vortec heads, superchargers, beefier cams, headers, i know alot of s-10 guys that can smoke the sh*t out of their tires up to 3rd gear with a stocker 4.3, but if your still leary about making the change over to a bigger motor do some parts research on them,oh &amp; on your brake issues, mine do the same thing

Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jerrysza

Hi all,

I just registered onto this forum. I own a 1991 Isuzu Trooper 2.8 V6, 5speed. It has193k miles on the original engine. Bought it when it had 160k miles. Still running pretty good. The engine is a bit weak though (esp. when I pull my fishing boat).Anyway, I have a couple questions.

1)At some point I mayreplace the engine with a rebuilt one. The guy I bought it from said he thought I could put a stronger 4.3cyl V6 in there (he said the 2.8 V6 that is in there was from GM (used in the S10 blazer??), and that they could upgrade it to a 4.3 with slight modifications). Does anyone know anything about whether I could do this or if this would be advisable? I am just looking for a bit more power if I ever decide to replace the engine. I like the truck a lot and want to keep it for some time, so am willing to invest a bit in a good engine if need be.

2) Since I have owned the truck the back brakes make a loud squeaking (almost rubbing noise), similar to what you would get when your brake shoes on your bicycle would rub on the rims. The mechanic I go to tells me that is common with Troopers. He said the brakes are mechanically sound, it is just an irritating noise. Is this something I could fix with a pair of new rotors and better pads.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jerry

YOY CAN INSTALL THE 4.3 IN YOUR TROOPER BUT IT IS AN AWFUL LOT OF WORK FOR THE EFFORT GAINED , THE 4.3 IS A FANTASTIC ENG , IF IT IS THE LATE VORTEC STYLE ,,HOWEVER IT WONT FIT ANYTHING ON YOUR TRUCK , EVERYTHING WILL HAVE TO BE CUSTOM MADE AND YOU WILL END UP WITH A STOCK 4.3 ENG WITH ANYWHERE FROM 180 TO 200 HP. A MUCH EASIER SWAP AND CAN BE 180 HP VERY EASY, IS TO USE THE 3.4 ENG FROM A 93-96 CAMARO OR FIREBIRD , AND IT WILL BOLT RIGHT IN, ALL YOUR ACCESSORIES AND THE FUEL INJ SYSTEM ON YOUR ENG WILL BOLT RIGHT ON, AND WITH A 4.3 THROTTLE BODY AND A DIFF CAM AND ROLLER ROCKERS IT WILL REALLY RUN STRONG , WITH A 125 LBS LESS WEIGHT THAN THE 4.3 . THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS REDRILL THE BOTTOM OF THE ENG BLOCK WHERE THE STARTER BOLTS ON, AND THAT IS EASY TO DO, YOU CAN EVEN BUY THE 3.4 AS A NEW CRATE ENG FROM GM FOR ABOUT 1600 , THE 4.3 IS A GREAT ENG AND I HAVE DONE THEM BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF CHANGES THAT HAVE TO BE DONE , THERE ARE ADAPTERS AVAILABLE TO BOLT TO YOUR TRANS WITH A LITTLE INGENUITY, THEY ARE NOT A DIRECT BOLT ON, BUT THEY ARE ALLSO IN THE 1000 RANGE , OVERALL THE 3.4 IS BY FAR THE BEST BANG FOR THE HORSEPOWER BUCK. JERRY
&lt; =""&gt;<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)