Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1990 Trooper stalling after about 5 sec

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Default 1990 Trooper stalling after about 5 sec

Howdy, I'm new to Isuzu's and do not seem to be nearly as saavy as I was with my Yota! Like the title says, I am able to start the engine, only to have it die within about 5 seconds.

I have a '90 Trooper with the 2.6L engine, 4x4, manual. The "check engine," "charging system," "oil pressure" and "fuel" lights are on... I'm pretty sure there is only one problem, as it ran fine 12hrs ago, but i guess you never know.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Seems to me like the alternator, but I would like to get some second thoughts or possibilities.

I thought about the fuel pump, but I was able to drive it fine for about a mile before i (stupidly) turned it off to grab a soda before church...

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM

Try checking all of your connections on the intake, I was having the same problem on my 88 and 89 trooper, we traced it to a wire under the intake on both of them. If I recall properly it is a single wire that plugs into a round sensor. It is hard to get to, it is right behind the heater water line going into the intake I think.. its been a while since I had the problem, no longer have the 2.6l in them anymore.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

It turned out to be the alternator. I did check all the intake sensors, as well as all the fuel lines, injectors, fuel pump, and distributor.

I'm thankful it was an easy fix (not so easy replacement though, I elected not to remove the air pump first...) and now I feel like I really know my rig after taking everything apart!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Cool deal, I never had to deal with the air pump, I removed them and capped the lines off and actually found that the motor had better preformance.

I also know what you mean by know them really well, just hope you don't have to replace a injector..
I just rescently took the 4 Banger out and put a Chevy 4.3l v6, hoping to get it running today ..

Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattiematt
Cool deal, I never had to deal with the air pump, I removed them and capped the lines off and actually found that the motor had better preformance.

I also know what you mean by know them really well, just hope you don't have to replace a injector..
I just rescently took the 4 Banger out and put a Chevy 4.3l v6, hoping to get it running today ..
I never thought about doing that.

Ugh that would be terrible - I replaced all 4 on my Yota and it was just a b*tch. I really like my 4-banger, I don't really need any more power (although I'm sure I'll retract that statement once hunting season rolls around) and I love the good gas mileage!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 AM

If you spray the base of the intake with carb cleaner while it is running you should notice a difference in the way it runs if you have a vacuum leak.