Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

True? 99 Isuzu Rodeo Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Hey guys hows it going? I've been getting different stories from people and I really need to know whats fact. I have a 99 Isuzu Rodeo Automatic LS 3.2 V6 that has 133k miles on it. I've never changed the transmission oil on it and I need to know if its true that this type of transmission (doesnt have a dispstick), doesnt need to be serviced due to the fact it uses a type of oil that doesn't break down. I believe its 430L-E?

Do you guys know if this is true, and if its not that brings me to problem number 2. I tried to get the transmission oil changed one time at 100k miles and the guy wouldnt do it. He said he didnt want to be held responsible if the tranny stopped working after. He said since I hadnt replaced the oil in such a long time that maybe all the oil has degraded down into this gunk thats actually keeping the tranny running and cleaning it up with nice new oil might not give the already damaged transmission the lubrication it needs.

Number 3 is that lately after the car has been sitting over night, when I turn it on in the morning it has a delayed transmission engagement. I'll go into reverse and then when I put it in drive it takes one or two seconds to go into drive. If it doesn't do that sometimes it will have a delay going from 1st to 2nd gear, but only when the gear is newly started.

I heard this problem was related to torque converter drain down. What is this and is it related to the auto transmission. If it is a drain down problem, is it expensive to fix?

Thank you!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM

to help a little on number 1 I just got done replacing a transmission in my 98 rodeo same transmission and the recommended fluid to put in it is dextron mercon III (i may have spelled that wrong) and to my knowledge there is NO FLUID that does not breakdown after time...

however regarding your number 2 the guy you talked to was correct after 100k if you have not changed your fluid it is NOT recommended to do so unless your having problems...

Number 3 the delay from reverse to first gear sounds to me like you are a little low on fluid which if you have had people look at the condition of your fluid the only way you can do so is to pull the fill plug and if your transmission is not up to operating temp (95-135 degrees) you will lose some fluid and these transmissions are very VERY picky about the amount of fluid needed...

I would do a fluid and filter change...if your not doing it yourself though take it to a professional transmission shop not any wal-mart or speed-lube places they actually force the fluid in under pressure which could kick looses some dirt or whatever you have in your valve body...i changed mine myself its not that bad just refilling the fluid part (very messy)

Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 PM

I forgot to add you will need 9.1 qts of fluid according to my book on the 4l30E transmission

mine took 8 1/2 hope all this helps good luck keep us posted

Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM

I agree with jross.

Except that when I dropped the main oil pan & the smaller adapter pan to change the fluid & filter, I only got out/replaced about 5 qts. Nothing was removed from the torque converter, of course. The 4L30doesn't have a nice drain plug on the perimeter of the torque converterlike a Ford E4OD tranny does. The only way I know of to change fluid out completely is to have it flushed out on a machine, or just drain the fluid & refill 3-4 times over the course of 5K miles or so. I suppose you could also disconnect the cooler pressure/suction lines & let the transmission pump push it allout also. But that was a bigger job than I was willing to tackle.

The mfgs. like to say no service or changing of the fluid is necessary over the life of the vehicle under "normal service." And that is probably true if the vehicle is never used for towing, never run hard, never taken off road, never driven in dusty conditions, never . . . you get the idea. It's mostly marketing hype, IMO.Edited by: XR400R

Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM

I would just check the fluid level and add whats missing. and oh yeah there is no dip stick. you have to get under the car and take the overfill plug off and also take off the service port plug, then with a pump or sqeeze bottle add fluid untill it come out of the overflow port. car must be on and in neutral. let the carwarm up for 2 min. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jetmech09

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Idiots that tell ppl its a sealed trans that doesnt need the fluid changed are the biggest cause of 4L30Es dying. Have the pans dropped, replace/clean the filter, then refill. This only changes part of the fluid at a time. Which is better at this point then replacing it all at once. Will slowly clean the junk out. SO NOT get it flushed as that will kill the transmission.