Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Running out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Default Running out of ideas

Hello, I have a 2003 iszuz rodeo with the 2.2. Car didn't run so i changed the timing belt. it started up but it ran poorly and had a top speed of about 30 mph. I removed the front o2 sensor and it ran better so i took it to an exhaust shop and they replaced the cat. When i got it back it ran better but there were still issues. On light to medium throttle it would run fine but any time you were taking off from a stop at full throttle it would really bog down like a bad missfire. but once it reached about 2500-3000 rpms the engine would run better and the car would take off. The plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter are all new and the throttle body is clean.

The check engine light is off and there are no codes. The thing is that i can only view live data through globle obd2 so what sensors i can see are very limited.
Any idea?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM

check the timing? im not used to working on my isuzu but i had a similar problem with my 75' BMW 2002 its carbuerated and i replaced the distributor and had the timing properly set it solved the problem

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM

OK, so i rechecked the timing and it is right on. I replaced the tps sensor and that didnt help.
Also, i read somewhere that the reluctor wheel on the crank comes loose and throws off the signal. I took the crank sensor off (underneth the p/s bracket) and pried on the wheel and it was not loose. It almost sounds like it's a clogged exhaust so i unbolted the exhaust and that didnt make a differance.
I dont think it's a trans problem because it doesnt matter if your just reving it up in p/n or powerbreaking it or just driving it. the engine just boggs down and has no power if your on the throttle more then 50%. light throttle there are no problems and it runs fine. heavy throttle and you lose everything.

i checked the compression on number one cylinder and it was around 140, i might check the other three tomorrow.

Is the 2.2 an interferance engine??

Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 AM

Thanks guys. You truly rock. Now you just need to start working on cars again so I have a shop to go to that I know won't F me over.The engine just boggs down and has no power if your on the throttle more then 50%. light throttle there are no problems and it runs fine. heavy throttle and you lose everything.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Unhappy

I guess no one has any ideas then.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Default Interferrence motor

Just a thought, if the old timing belt broke while the vehicle was running you may have valve damage. A compression test on the remaining three cylinders will tell. Also, if you are using a Haynes manual, the cylinder numbering may be reversed. I had a similar problem with a '98 Amigo with a 2.2. I switched the 4 plug wires in reverse order and it ran perfectly! Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 AM

The engine just boggs down and has no power if your on the throttle more then 50%. light throttle there are no problems and it runs fine. heavy throttle and you lose everything.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 PM

replace your o2 sensor i had the same issue with my 90 pickup but i got an o2 light and it came on so i replaced it and it stopped doing it

Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM

Ok guys i am at my witts end here and cant figure it out...... Just got a 99 Rodeo with 2.2 put a new crank and bearings, new pulleys, and it had 16 bents valves so the head is now new....got it all back together and timed right. when i try to start it it backfires then revs up to 3500 RPM then back down to 1k to 1500 rpms and keps jumping.

i pulled all my injectors out and 1 and 2 cylenders were not getting fuel so i pulled number 3 injector and swapped it with 2 and it worked in 2 and 3 is not working now so that tells me it is not a electrical problen and i have two bad injectors. I have new injectors on the way do you think this will solve my problem

It is showing a code P0300 which is the misfire code.

Any and all help would be awsome thanks guys

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM

My timing went on my 2000 Rodeo. I spent 8 months trying to find a new engine. I read that the Rodeo Frame is rotting out and there is a recall. I figured hell..... Who needs an engine when the frame is rotted. I took myself to NJ and waited outside for 3 hours. and was able to purchase a rusting truck with good engine for $350.00

Quick Reply: Running out of ideas