Isuzu  Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum

Isuzu Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/)
-   Rodeo (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/rodeo-17/)
-   -   Car lost power and now won't start (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/rodeo-17/car-lost-power-now-wont-start-38842/)

tractng 03-12-2012 12:50 AM

Car lost power and now won't start

Hello,

Car: 1999 Honda passport (same as Isuzu) with 122k miles

I was driving home on the freeway going downhill. All of sudden, I didn't have power changing lane. I knew something was wrong and pulled to the shoulder.

Since then, car won't start (only crank). I had it towed home :mad:.

This is what I have done so far.

1) Checked the fuse locations at the engine and side of driver (interior), look fine. Swapped some of those relays at the fuse box at the engine bay (I think they are called relay).

2) pulled one coil out and tested for sparks. It got sparks. Spark plugs was changed 6 months ago.

3) Tested a cylinder and it has pressure (about 125 psi).

4) Checked the timing belt and both notch aligns on each side. Timing belt was changed 13 months ago with water pump, etc.

I will do the following:

- spray starting fluid into the throttle body
- swap the camshaft position sensor
- swap ecm (ignition control module)

- alternator ??
- fuel pump

Any help would be appreciated. I have been reading all over the net. Can a camshaft position sensor be tested at the local auto stores?

rotarynut 03-13-2012 09:22 AM

There are minimal test that can be done to a CMP sensor with a Multimeter, like an ohm test, but since it is a hall-effect sensor it needs input and a trigger to get a desired out put. My local guys do not have the equipment to test such things like the manufacturer does.

You need to isolate the issue first before you start changing out a bunch of things. Do the starting fluid test. Have someone spray some starting fluid in the sir intake hose while you try starting the engine. Remember that the butter fly on the intake does not open unless you depress the throttle a little. If it starts or acts like it wants to start right up and then dies you have a fuel problem. No need to replace ECU and CMP or the like. If it does not then it probably isnt a fuel problem and you need to look at the ignition and timing side. You say its a 99, but is it a 6 or 4 cylinder?

tractng 03-15-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by rotarynut (Post 48591)
There are minimal test that can be done to a CMP sensor with a Multimeter, like an ohm test, but since it is a hall-effect sensor it needs input and a trigger to get a desired out put. My local guys do not have the equipment to test such things like the manufacturer does.

You need to isolate the issue first before you start changing out a bunch of things. Do the starting fluid test. Have someone spray some starting fluid in the sir intake hose while you try starting the engine. Remember that the butter fly on the intake does not open unless you depress the throttle a little. If it starts or acts like it wants to start right up and then dies you have a fuel problem. No need to replace ECU and CMP or the like. If it does not then it probably isnt a fuel problem and you need to look at the ignition and timing side. You say its a 99, but is it a 6 or 4 cylinder?

I will do the spray starter fluid test. I will manually open up the butterfly and spray the fluid in. I don't have to put the hose back just for testing right?

I did take out the cover to see the timing belt. Both notches aligned on each side. It is a v6.

rotarynut 03-16-2012 06:36 PM

No need to replace intake hose for the starting fluid test. Let me know what you find out after the quick test. I am interested in seeing if it is a fuel or fire problem. on a different note I found a problem with the Haynes manual today. I have been fighting a fire problem on a 2.2l 02 Rodeo. The manual was incorrect on the coil to wire to plug location. Glad I finally got that one. On my Rodeo number 13. I have not had one beat me yet but 2 have come close.

meh 03-28-2012 06:07 PM

Was it pretty much instant? Or was there some minor signs like sputtering, rpm drop, cutting power prior to it completely stalling out?

smithwatson 04-03-2012 12:34 PM

I enjoy driving car especially i always go far long distance drive

tractng 04-03-2012 05:57 PM

Finally I am back :D. Went for a few drinks and knock myself in the head.

My problem was I ran out of gasoline. How did this happen??? First off, I have owned the truck since Sept 2010. The fuel gauge never work since I owned it. I always drive to about 325-350 miles on a full tank and refuel (press the reset button). For some reasons, at 305 miles, it ran out of gas.

Part of the troubleshooting, I checked all the fuses. Removed timing belt cover to see the notches aligned correctly. I bought the cramshaft sensor and returned it. I tried to start the truck lots of times but the engine wouldn't start (one time it sounded like it wanted to start).

The day I got the truck towed home, I poured about 1 gallon of gasoline but never got it any luck (so I never thought it was the gas issue after that).

Finally, we put the timing belt covers, fan, etc back. Sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle, the truck started.

Thanks again guys.

jamesbates 04-17-2012 09:49 AM

After reading some more on the internet, there seems to be a lot of issues with Rodeos and electricl problems. Some of the symtoms seem to point to a grounding
problem, although I am not ruling out the ICM. I am going to try to redo all the grounds and see if that helps first.

jamesbates 05-16-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tractng (Post 48562)
Hello,

Car: 1999 Honda passport (same as Isuzu) with 122k miles

I was driving home on the freeway going downhill. All of sudden, I didn't have power changing lane. I knew something was wrong and pulled to the shoulder.

Since then, car won't start (only crank). I had it towed home :mad:.

This is what I have done so far.

1) Checked the fuse locations at the engine and side of driver (interior), look fine. Swapped some of those relays at the fuse box at the engine bay (I think they are called relay).

2) pulled one coil out and tested for sparks. It got sparks. Spark plugs was changed 6 months ago.

3) Tested a cylinder and it has pressure (about 125 psi).

4) Checked the timing belt and both notch aligns on each side. Timing belt was changed 13 months ago with water pump, etc.

I will do the following:

- spray starting fluid into the throttle body
- swap the camshaft position sensor
- swap ecm (ignition control module)

- alternator ??
- fuel pump

Any help would be appreciated. I have been reading all over the net. Can a camshaft position sensor be tested at the local auto stores?

yes i do @agree with you Mate!!!!!!!!!

jamesbates 05-16-2012 08:07 PM

yes i do @agree with you James!!!!!!!!!