Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

considering 99 rodeo price ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and had a question regarding the price for a Rodeo I'm thinking about buying. I,m looking at a 99 LSE 103,00 miles, leather int. tow package sun roof, running boards, fog lights- everything in excellent shape. Is $8800.00 a decent price, and what should I be looking for as far as potential problems before I buy it ? I looked at the serpentine belt and it looked dry rotted so it is being replaced. The guy who owns the lot also has a large repair facility and is a very honest person so anything I ask about will be checked and made right. I,m not very mechanical or knowledgable about cars and could use some insight.

Thanks alot.

Sean

Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM

I own a 99 Rodeo and purchased it for $10,000 (canadian)about a year ago. It had 105000km's on it, about 45,000 mi and is a 4x4 LS with a 5 spd manual, tilt and air and an aftermarket cruise control. It's pretty plain but I like them that way. I don't think $8800 is an unreasonable price but knowing what I know now I would say you could get it cheaper and you may want to look at another vehicle instead of the Rodeo. The Isuzu 3.2 liter motor is virtually a dud. I say that in the nicest possible way because I do love my Rodeo.

Here's what I know. The 3.2 is an oil consumer. It will eat about 1 liter (quart)of oil every 1000 km/500mi and that is considered within acceptable tolerances. The problem lies in the design of both the engine and the piston itself. The engine is full aluminum and the piston grooves for the oil rings anr too small. This causes the rings to gum up and stop moving which allows the oil to get burned up when it by passes the piston and mixes with the fuel and is burned up in the explosion caused by the spark igniting the fuel/air mix. This gumming up of the rings will start to occur at about 70000 km's and does not go away. The oil consumption will eventually get worse and you really have to check the oil everytime you fill up. You can restore the 700-1000km oil fill by using an engine cleaner and regularily replace the PCV (positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. Other things to consider besides the motor is sagging suspension and poor ride and I found the automatic tranny a little sluggish. The motor problem was apparently rectified in 2003 when they redesigned some parts for the 3.2; they also introduced a 3.5 liter in 2003 - 2004 until the Rodeo was discontinued. Unfortunately in Canada, the rodeo was discontinued in 2002 and we never saw the 250 hp 3.5 or the fixed 3.2liter. Parts for the Rodeo are not easy to find in Canada, not sure about the US, but replacement engines from the US are easy to come by. My first imrovement for the Rodeo was an OLD MAN EMU Shock replacement. This is only possible if there is no air ride in your Rodeo. On the plus side, and the reason I like my Rodeo, is good towing ability, good power (despite the engine oil consumption - which doesn't seem to effect the power), and a great 4x4 system. Currently I am looking to upgrade my Rodeo motor to a 3.5 if it's compatable with the 99 mounts, driveline and electronics. Anyone who may have insight for that conversion or maybe a diesel motor can let me know. Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Good post,

I have a 99 rodeo S I bought recently for 6.500 CAD 140 K km and I consider that a steal. Stereo was garbage at best, but ripped old deck from other car, added amps and speakers for less than 500 and now sounds better than a stupid Bose system or the like in a new car.

Shocks were in desperate need of replacement and I went with Monroe Sensa Traks after some advice to not bother with mono tube gas unless seriously off roading consistently. $57 online from british auto suppliers out of Ontario. About the same price if living in the US from online US site.

Replaced the Fuel sender, common problem and not fun to replace but not too hard either. Even if you're useless with a ratchet it should not take more than 3 hours.

8,800 US, with leather, 8,800 is not a bad price, but kinda high km's for that price? Like I said, mine was a steal, but I would not have paid 9 K for it.

Edited by: 98rodeoS