Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Bucking, exsesive fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM

<div style="text-align: center;">
<div style="text-align: left;">I
have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo V6 that has had this problem for over two
years. This problem occurs every once in a while and as suddenly
as it came on it disappers. What happens is at start up the seems
to run rich, which causes my vehicle to emit black smoke from the
exhuast and a very strong smell of raw fuel. If I drive the
vehcile like this the car runs fine at take off to mid range but as I
accelerate the engine bucks, smoothes out then keeps on bucking and
sucking down a hell of a lot of fuel. I have taken my vehicle to
several shops as well as the dealership and all have not been able to
diagnose the problem. The CPU reads that there is no
problem. I've tuned it up, replaced the plug wires, sensors
ect... all efforts to repair my vehicle have met with negative results
to this point. The thing that I have noticed is when the vehicle
is suffering from this problem the check engine light comes on briefly,
the vehcile runs smooth for a bit and as soon as the check engine light
goes out the engine runs like crap again. This condition only
occurs every once in a while and usally disappers overnight or after
several days. The car will then run fine as though it never had a
problem. I'm at my wits end with this problem and would
appreciate any help I can get. I should also mention that when
this problem is at it's peak my Rodeo will consume a full tank of gas
in less than 70 miles.</font></span>

</div>
</span></div>

Old 01-02-2006, 04:49 PM

i had that same problem with my 98. it would buck at high speed/highway. it was a sensor. my mechanic called it a speed sensor. cost about 100.00 and looks like a plug.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Hey thanks mewatts, i'll look into that.... man what a
headache!!! I dig my ride, best vehicle i've ever owned, except
when bucks, that's when I want to burn it... just kidding thanks for
the help.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

go to a autozone,an buy your self a cheap fuel psi gauge,keep it in the truck ,when the problem occurs ,install it.if the fuel service port is right in ft on that yr.if you have the 3.2l it should be right in ft or in the back on the fuek rail.95 yrs after alot of miles will also clogg fuel injectors.it run rich or smokes on start up because the fuel injectors may be leaking down over night,an when you start it up in the morning it burns off,also leaking valve seals will do this,only smoke at start up.fuel pumps will make it buck also,its not delivering enough fuel psi.the pcm see,s the lean condition an tries to compinsate,but cant.probly why no check engine light........fuel problem. pcm cant monitor what the fuel pump is doing,except through o2 sensors if it determines exhaust is lean condition.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:08 AM

I would check the O2 sensors.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...thread.php?t=2 58045&amp;highlight=fuel+smoke

Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 PM

do a tune up.plugs-wires-fuel filter and replace the catalytic converter all at once.a clogged cat converter will cause excessive backpressure and foul plugs and injectors.add lucas fuel treatment at each refuel.the clogged converter will not show up on error codes.same thing happened to me.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by toastzodiac
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">I have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo V6 that has had this problem for over two years. This problem occurs every once in a while and as suddenly as it came on it disappers. What happens is at start up the seems to run rich, which causes my vehicle to emit black smoke from the exhuast and a very strong smell of raw fuel. If I drive the vehcile like this the car runs fine at take off to mid range but as I accelerate the engine bucks, smoothes out then keeps on bucking and sucking down a hell of a lot of fuel. I have taken my vehicle to several shops as well as the dealership and all have not been able to diagnose the problem. The CPU reads that there is no problem. I've tuned it up, replaced the plug wires, sensors ect... all efforts to repair my vehicle have met with negative results to this point. The thing that I have noticed is when the vehicle is suffering from this problem the check engine light comes on briefly, the vehcile runs smooth for a bit and as soon as the check engine light goes out the engine runs like crap again. This condition only occurs every once in a while and usally disappers overnight or after several days. The car will then run fine as though it never had a problem. I'm at my wits end with this problem and would appreciate any help I can get. I should also mention that when this problem is at it's peak my Rodeo will consume a full tank of gas in less than 70 miles.
</DIV></DIV>

i have this same exact problem.i took my 95 rodeo (3.2L) out 4 wheeling and half way through the trip it starting running like crap.At first i figued i just had gotten it wet,but after a week or so of driving it and a new set of plugs, im guessing its something more.

I know that it is running rich, it pours black smoke and bucks and studders when i give it any more than 20% throttle.Now here is the weird part THE CEL COMES ON AND IT RUNS FINE! i really dont wanna start dumping money in it, so any help would be awsome, thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 AM

i have the same problem its running rich but i have white smoke

Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Default same here

I sorta have the same problem. i have a 95 3.2 v6 and runs like crap! the engine wont go above 2500 rpm and pours white smoke out on startup. the smoke diminishes after its warm but i have replaced egr, map, coils, plugs, wires. dont know where else to go. its not showing any CEL. before this happened it was hard to start when cold also. dont know if it could be a clogged cat? and also where is the crank position sensor located on this motor? cant find it anywhere!

Last edited by KDemarest7725; 02-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.