Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Alternator or ECM bad???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Default Alternator or ECM bad???

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd with a 2.6 4ez1 engine and 5 speed manual trans. I was heading to work last week when the motor sputtered and cut out. I figured the fuel pump gave up the ghost when I didn't hear it cycle when I turned on the ignition key.

Upon getting it towed home I began to troubleshoot the fuel pump before randomly replacing it and found the fuse to the ECM was blown. I replaced it and went and tried to start it and could hear the fuel pump cycle. I proceeded to try and start it which it did momentarily but immediately died and wouldn't restart.

I did a little searching and found where the alternator could be the problem. I disconnected the 4 pin harness, replaced the fuse and she started up and ran fine and was charging the battery although it was only reading about 13.7 volts on my multimeter. I replaced the alternator and all was well until today I had to step on it a little bit to pass in traffic and it sputtered and died. The fuse was blown again so I cut the lead that goes from the alternator to the ECM, replaced the fuse and she started and ran fine.

Is there a way to tell which one is causing the problem? I had also read on a forum about a way to bypass the ECM connection but for the life of me I can't find it. Any elp and or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Alan

Old 03-31-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein
Hi all,

I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd with a 2.6 4ez1 engine and 5 speed manual trans. I was heading to work last week when the motor sputtered and cut out. I figured the fuel pump gave up the ghost when I didn't hear it cycle when I turned on the ignition key.

Upon getting it towed home I began to troubleshoot the fuel pump before randomly replacing it and found the fuse to the ECM was blown. I replaced it and went and tried to start it and could hear the fuel pump cycle. I proceeded to try and start it which it did momentarily but immediately died and wouldn't restart.

I did a little searching and found where the alternator could be the problem. I disconnected the 4 pin harness, replaced the fuse and she started up and ran fine and was charging the battery although it was only reading about 13.7 volts on my multimeter. I replaced the alternator and all was well until today I had to step on it a little bit to pass in traffic and it sputtered and died. The fuse was blown again so I cut the lead that goes from the alternator to the ECM, replaced the fuse and she started and ran fine.

Is there a way to tell which one is causing the problem? I had also read on a forum about a way to bypass the ECM connection but for the life of me I can't find it. Any elp and or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Alan
Hello
Might be better to have your original part repaired at upfix.com

Here is the service link
https://www.upfix.com/product-catego...ontrol-repair/