Pickup Talk about Isuzu Pickup related topics here...

1990 p’up 2.6L MFI troubles!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Bought a 1990 2.6L 4x4 a few months ago. It was sitting for a while before I purchased it. The day I bought it I fueled it up and drove it home (approx 45 min drive). Ran good the whole way home. Soon after that day, while driving truck suddenly would die. Would start up immediately after dying. O2 indicator was on so I changed that, cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator,cleaned out tank and fuel pump. Truck still will die suddenly while driving. Idles beautifully and does drive nice when not stalling. Checked out diaphram on EGR and it seems fine. Hooked up to diagnostics and no codes were shown.

Anyideas would be appreciated.

If it was the coil would it start immediately after stalling?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Yes, it is common for a coil to be able to start up again, but usually not until it has cooled back down. When cold, it will start up and run with no issue, but as soon as it warms up a little bit (less than five min usually), It will start to die again.

Luck for us, you cannot buy a coil directly anymore and will have to get the whole distributer ($$$). I found one from a used parts distributer for about 300 bucks. To get one imported from US or Japan will cost around 800. And if you do order one, make sure that it is the right one. I found four different types available for the 2.6 L engine.

My O2 light has also been on ever since i bought it but it still seems to run fine. I don't really know if it would make any difference for me to replace it or not. I think it is the O2 sensor "sensor" and not the actual sensor itself. (if that made any sense?)

Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM

One night when I was driving home in my Volvo the check engine light
starts flashing, and the idle changes. I run the codes the next day at
Autozone, with it coming up with mulitiple codes. I was about to change
my Am-general oxygen sensor
and the cats, then the mechanic told me to replace first my spark plugs
and see if it will fix my problem... The next day I started the car and
all the codes went away... I don't really know what happens but I'm
glad it happened because because it saved me some bucks... Try also to
check all the fuses in the underhood fuse box. My mechanic also to me
that sometimes wiring problems cause multiple codes. If this would not the trick, our sensor might need to be change...Good luck!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 AM

there is no "O2 sensor-sensor". The O2 light comes on after 30,000 mi. You have to take off the instrument cluster and switch a screw to turn it off for another 30,000.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cooter85
there is no "O2 sensor-sensor". The O2 light comes on after 30,000 mi. You have to take off the instrument cluster and switch a screw to turn it off for another 30,000.
The O2 light in the instrument cluster is actually set to come on every 90k.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"> </>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>