New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

unfortunate choice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Cool unfortunate choice...

my '92 trooper was sadly done in 8 weeks ago. i may have made a poor choice as replacement. it's a 2001 trooper ls. has just 125k m on it so i went for it. had it a week and the transmission slipped and the check engine light is on and blinks sometimes and the 4wd was completely disengaged for some reason and now will not lock at the front axle so the 4wd isn't operating at all. the transmission has been rebuilt and they reconnected the 4wd up to this issue. now have to tackle the other issues.
what could be missing in the 4 wd system that it won't completely engage? and out of curiosity, could the 4 wd be reverted to manual instead of the push button? and what is that t.o.d. system? that was pretty fried on the transmission.
the more important issue is the check engine light blinking. pretty sure the solid check engine light is about the catalytic converter. had the code scanned which was before the light was blinking. here is what happens: turn on the car, lights all come on, everything goes out save the check engine light. i drive 1/3 m out the road to the hwy and as soon as i try to accelerate the light begins to blink and the truck slowly accelerates and then there is a quick surge of power and the truck sort of lunges. it seems to be sucking gas at a disconcerting rate as well. any ideas?
i'm no mechanic, i was trying to get something a bit similar to my old trooper. this isn't. so i have to get used to too many electronic bits i guess since it's a make it work situation. thanks. mhart