New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

2000 Trooper oil consumtion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:21 PM

I am new to the forum. Just purchased my very first far east made made vehicle, the Trooper, S model, 3.5 v6, white and tan, 61k, super clean.I like it alot and it has been great for the first 3000k. I went to check my oil and it was down about a quart. Now I know a dealer will tell me thats acceptable, but I have lots of mechanical background with autos and I totally will disagree. I have had many vehicles that use much less oil in 3k miles.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if they have had similar expeiences and what has been the result? Did it indicate a larger issue that I should be looking into before it gets any worse?

I was going to have a compression test done and a leak down test. Any other thoughts?

Do I need to move my questions to the Trooper Forum? Going to see Episode III revenge of the Sith so might be online l;ater tonight or tomorrow.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:40 AM

OK, ckeck out what oil you are using in your motor and if its too light then use a heavier oil. If you don't know what weight is the best for your engine and mileage, then you could go to your nearest auto parts store and they could tell you. You can find it also in a haynes or chiltons manual for isuzu troopers. If you are using the right oil, then I suggest that you go on and do the compression and leak down tests. If you have any doubts or questions just reply

Old 10-31-2005, 02:52 AM

cetmanhd

have had similar useof oil in my 2000 3.2 rodeo. on my trips down to fla. had to add about 1/2 qt. oil every 2 tankfulls. was shocked as my previous vehicle ( blazer ) did not require any oil between changes. to avoid adding oil so often i simply added a quart more above the fill line. probably the wrong thing to do. i may try going to heavier oil.

this may be an inherent quality of this engine. i have read other solutions in other sites. all too costly. heavier oil may be the best route.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:37 AM

hey all... in response to your problems... the user... isuzuguru seems to be REALLY good at solving problems... look up the name and contact him if you are still having problems

Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

heavier oil may help,but it is the quality of the 98-03 3.2 an 3.5 engines.isuzu is aware of this concern.for those yrs you,ll proably notice a 1qt per thousand.the cause is that the oil rings in those engines seize from carbon an sludge,one thing that i noticed that will help,many of pepole have debated over it also.but it works.is that every-time you change your oil.subsitute 1qt of trans fluid for 1 qt of oil.trans fluid is an excellent cleaner,so if you have an engine that holds 6qts,5qts of reg oil then the last qt pour in trans fluid.it will not harm anything with just one qt.esp for engines around 50k an up.isuzu didnt fix this concern till 03 models,they updated the rings an added extra drain holes in the pistons.as you notice it not consumming as much anymore then start with your normal oil changes.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:02 PM

I have a 2001 Trooper, now not running..air fuel problem? I burned and bought a new engine cause the other had an oil burning problem. Paid 8500 for new engine, Canada Isuzu gave me 3500 warranty??. Now am just trying to find a market for a beautiful SUV! I don't need it anymore.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:45 PM

isuzus burn oil.check it often and keep it full and youll be fine.that is the nature of the beast.some may do it to a greater or lesser degree.but it is well noted all over the web.ive got a 3.2 dohc with 170000 on it and running strong.and its always ate oil like crazy.it used to bother me but once i found out that most of them do it i quit worrying about it.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Here is some info i found on the web. I made a posting as well

http://www.autobytel.com/content/res...ms/index.cfm/a ction/Posts/fid/6147

Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 AM

My 95 rodeo with a 3.2 ate oil like crazy till I got it rebuilt, now it doesn't go through oil at all.