IF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with IF? Ask... Have a suggestion to better IF? Tell us here...

Turn signal, cruise control and brakes lights all tied together?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Default Turn signal, cruise control and brakes lights all tied together?

Hi I'm new to this forum an i have a really big problem. It's hard to explain so bear with me. A few years ago i had a1999 Rodeo, one day driving home i noticed that the cruise control turned off when i put on my turn signal, thought that was strange but proceeded on my way. Next thing i know someone is pulling up bedside me to say i have no brake lights. A mechanic told me it was the multifunction switch and gave me a very high estimate. I retired that car and got a new one.
Flash forward 3 years and i now have a 2001 Rodeo. Two days ago I'm driving to another town an hour away and my turn signal turns off my cruise control. I immediate think oh no do i have no brake lights? Well guess what. I have no brake lights. Upon arriving home i immediately start calling mechanics and asking about a multifunction switch. No one seems to know what i am talking about and what I'm finding online does not point to the switch affecting the brakes lights.
I have gotten someone else to sit in the car and use the lights so i can observe them. When the lights are off there are no taillights. With the left signal all 3 brakes lights and signal light and flash. With the right signal just the signal lights and flashes. When the hazards are on all lights light and flash. When the lights are on the tail lights are lit but nothing changes when the brakes are applied. When either turn signal or hazards are applied they work as normal and the tail lights don't change.
i have changed all the bulbs in all rear lights and check all wires accessed from the light panels.
Does anyone know what is going on and if it is the multifunction switch and where i can get a new switch if it is since all the mechanics don't seem to know anything about it?