Isuzu  Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum

Isuzu Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/general-tech-14/)
-   -   94 Rodeo fuel pump/electrical issues (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/general-tech-14/94-rodeo-fuel-pump-electrical-issues-74466/)

rodeologist 07-20-2017 02:33 PM

94 Rodeo fuel pump/electrical issues

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd share my 94 V6 Rodeo 4x4 struggles. A few weeks ago my alternator accessory belt broke while I was driving. The dash voltmeter starting creeping lower and lower until the car died. I eventually got it home and replaced all three accessory belts without much trouble. The car started and ran normal all day. The next day I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. It cranks and cranks but doesn't fire up. I was leaving the next day to go out of town so I gave it to a shop to look at. They told me it was a bad fuel pump. I get home and replace the fuel pump myself. The car starts right up with the new fuel pump and I drive it around the block with no issues. A few hours later I go to start the car and it won't start. Just like before. When I turn the key to start the car I cannot hear the fuel pump kicking on.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here can help me figure a few things out! First, how could these two issues be related? The belt breaking and then this fuel pump/electrical issue. (I'm assuming its an electrical issue). Or is this just an unfortunate coincidence? Second, why would my new fuel pump work right away, and then stop working an hour later?

fourwd1 07-21-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rodeologist (Post 86885)
I'm new to this forum and thought I'd share my 94 V6 Rodeo 4x4 struggles. A few weeks ago my alternator accessory belt broke while I was driving. The dash voltmeter starting creeping lower and lower until the car died. I eventually got it home and replaced all three accessory belts without much trouble. The car started and ran normal all day. The next day I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. It cranks and cranks but doesn't fire up. I was leaving the next day to go out of town so I gave it to a shop to look at. They told me it was a bad fuel pump. I get home and replace the fuel pump myself. The car starts right up with the new fuel pump and I drive it around the block with no issues. A few hours later I go to start the car and it won't start. Just like before. When I turn the key to start the car I cannot hear the fuel pump kicking on.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here can help me figure a few things out! First, how could these two issues be related? The belt breaking and then this fuel pump/electrical issue. (I'm assuming its an electrical issue). Or is this just an unfortunate coincidence? Second, why would my new fuel pump work right away, and then stop working an hour later?

There may br a fuel pump relay or circuit that is going bad.
Try running 12V DC directly to the pump to see if it's working.

Its probably a coincidence.