Isuzu  Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum

Isuzu Forums - Isuzu Enthusiasts Forum (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/general-tech-14/)
-   -   '94 pickup 2.3 no spark, no ground pulsing (https://isuzuforums.com/forum/general-tech-14/94-pickup-2-3-no-spark-no-ground-pulsing-74686/)

radioflyer 03-31-2018 11:20 AM

'94 pickup 2.3 no spark, no ground pulsing

Hey, I have a 1994 pickup with a carbureted 2.3. I have no spark. I have tested and replaced coil, ignition control module, plugs, wires,cap and rotor are in good condition, the clutch switch is jumpered, and this year and engine don't have a crank angle sensor. I have 12v at coil wire connection but no ground pulsing. Still no spark. Anyone have an idea where to go next. Thanks for your input.

fourwd1 04-01-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by radioflyer (Post 87274)
Hey, I have a 1994 pickup with a carbureted 2.3. I have no spark. I have tested and replaced coil, ignition control module, plugs, wires,cap and rotor are in good condition, the clutch switch is jumpered, and this year and engine don't have a crank angle sensor. I have 12v at coil wire connection but no ground pulsing. Still no spark. Anyone have an idea where to go next. Thanks for your input.

Have you checked to see if any OBD-I codes have been set?

radioflyer 04-02-2018 07:40 AM

I have not yet checked codes. I have pulled the coil and ignition control module out and will have them tested again today by a different place, then will see about pulling codes with known good coil and icm. I had an old and new icm tested couple of days ago and they said new was good but old was bad. This makes sense but the continued lack of spark from the coil doesn't. The parts store didn't seem overly confident with their equipment either so I wanted to take coil and icm out of equation by having them tested by a different place. I understand that the computer on this 1994 2.3 model only controls the carb? Thought this would be an easy fix but will now backtrack and pull codes. I've checked all fuses as well. I'm sure it has to do with the coil or icm as I'm getting power to the coil but no spark out. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Shawnrobinson 05-14-2018 05:40 PM

What was the out come of the issue im having the same problem ans replaced everything already stil no spark

radioflyer 05-15-2018 09:38 AM

Shawn, I recently cleaned, adjusted all my ignition stuff, replaced the pickup coil as well and still no spark. I've added grounds etc., had icms replaced and tested. I haven't yet checked obd codes as I know I don't have spark and the codes that will probably come up, (42, 43), won't tell me anything I don't already know. Today I'm going to check the timing belt just to make sure, double check the new coil for ground pulsing and battery ground voltage. If no success then I'll replace the distributor with a remanufactured. I've been trying not to shell out another 150 for the dist. but this is where I am. Good luck with yours.

Shawnrobinson 05-15-2018 12:12 PM

Thanks, yeah i have no ground pulse at coil. New coil, ecm, dist and control module. Still no pulse. I added afew more grounds to motor also

radioflyer 05-16-2018 09:15 AM

It's a bit of a long shot but I have my clutch switch jumpered so that that switch is out of the equation. With that switch jumpered, (male spade-wire-male spade), if my truck would start it could start without having the clutch depressed. Back when my truck was running my clutch was jumpered and the truck started or tried to start regardless of the clutch position. I still suspect the ignition control module since I'm not getting spark out of the coil, but I've replaced it with a new one, and had that new icm tested. Keep me posted if you have a breakthrough and I will do the same.