General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

93 Rodeo 3.2 MPI wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Main power relay was bad so changed it, no help. Can run 12 volt supply to fuel pump and it engages and pumps fuel but still wont start. It will start with fuel dumped into breather but no other way. Changed the ignition control module for the heck of it but still wont start. Appears there is no keyed on power to fuel pump or injectors and motor just cranks. I am an outboard technician and our products use injector drivers controlled by the ECM to control fuel flow. I am new to this vehicle and I need some serious help. I bought 2 of them for project trucks for my kids and this project is turning into a major headache. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

if it run on carb cleaner down the intake you just have a fuel delivery problem.an yes its kinda similar,the injectors are run by the ecm drivers.if you do have fuel psi possibly ecm problem.you should have power to the fuel pump with the key on for a few sec to prime the rail.then goes away.while cranking voltage should be constant,do you have this? no then diag power supply problem.yes?make sure you have ground ,possibly bad fuel pump.injectors work from cam an crank sensor signals,when the ecm sees them it controls ignition an injectors.injectors can be simply checked with test light for voltage.should flash while cranking,its very quick so it may make the test light look as if its constantly on.but just cranking you should be able to see it blinking rapidly...........so check fuel pump,power an ground.....an for injector pulse while cranking.......spark,which it should have if it runs on carb cleaner.
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM

If the motor will only run when you dump fuel down intake, and the fuel up is NOT turning on when ign. on and you have NO fuel pressure then try checking the fuel pump relay and fuse.

If the fuel pump relay switched hot is not getting power then you could send it power via manual switch (although not recommened, because you could accidently leave it on and burn up your pump).

I would start by making sure the key switch it sending power to the fuel pump relay. Oh, it is also possible for the fuel filter to be completely clogged.
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>