Axiom Talk about Isuzu Axiom related topics here...

defective axiom transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 PM

I am a wholesale auto dealer who recently purchased a 2002 Axiom with 45000 miles on it. The vehicle was a trade in at my local Honda dealer, was serviced, and on there front line for retail. This vehicle was an aged unit, which means that they had owned it for more than sixty days and had been unsuccessful in selling it.Consequently they wholesaled it to me. After the vehicle has warmed up, the transmission slips, shudders, and delays engaging gears so badly that it's scary to drive. Obviously I can't sell it in this condition and since the balance of the 5year/60,000 mile powertrain is still in effect, I took the vehicle to Sullivan Watts Isuzu in Ocala Fla. to be repaired. After nine days of having the car, I was informed that they couldn't duplicate the problem, the transmission was 1 quart low on fluid, and they couldn't find any leaks. After being charged for this service, on a vehicle that is under warranty, I payed the bill and picked up the car. Not only was the car not fixed, now the transmission was even worse than when I originally took it to the dealer. I took the car back to the dealer and left it with them. This time they got it to act up and agreed that it had a severe transmission problem. I was told that they would have to contact the factory service rep. for authorization to repair it. Here's where things get interesting.The dealer called me and said his rep. had a couple of questions. Did I have any service recordsfor the vehicle, which should be a moot point, as the vehicle has not yet reached the mileage point where th manual suggests servicing the transmission. The second question was whether the vehicle had been used for towing, and the answer to that is no. The vehicle has never even had a tow hitch installed. After answering these questions the dealer again contacted the rep. The factory rep then informed the dealer that he was rejecting the claim, and wouldn't authorize the warranty repairs because he wasn't in the business of "RECONDITIONING USED CARS FOR DEALERS" When I heard this I almost lost it. I informed them that I don't expect anyone to recondition my cars, but I do expect a company to repair an obviouslydefective transmission under the factory powertrain warranty that they had assigned to this car when they sold it. Any and all suggestions, help, or information about similar problems would be greatly appreciated, as this may end up in litigation. I'm just a small one man operation on a very small budget and can't afford to spend $3500.00 to replace this defective transmission. Thanks, Pat

Old 02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

ask for a regional office or rep number.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 AM

hey i have had the same exact problem you discribe wit my 02 axiom. like you said there wasnt anyone that could figure the problem out. but i did find one person whom did fix my truck. unfortunately there were several problems. 1 the gaskets to my transmission werecrapso those were replaced. 2 then there is a seal right above the transmission fliud pan on the right side(passenger) i believe they call it a piston cover but not sure that had to be replaced. 3also i had to have my cylanoids taken apart and cleaned. try this it did fix the problem. let me know.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Same thing happened to me about a month or two ago. randomly, the car started to jerk and shift really bad. i took the car to a local dealer, he told me that yes the transmission does have problems and he could fix it, upon further research he found out that the whole transmission needed to be replaced so he did that free of charge. this brings me to another thing, we have a fried that lives here and she had the same exact problem about 3 years ago, took the car to isuzu and they said the same thing, that they could not change or fix the transmission because of other reasons, her husband being a lawyer go together a bunch of other people that had been having the same problem, went to court with isuzu and won, isuzu paid to buy all their cars back at the price that they bought them at, they also paid for any inconveniences and other expenses that they had. so call isuzu and tell them if they wont hold up to the warranty that you will talk to a lawyer and youll see them in court. you have to be carefull tho, because isuzu states that they wont pay for other expenses that may be endured during the process of repair, such as a rental car or other forms of transportation that you needed during the repair. hope that helped!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM

buddyboy, are you interested in selling this vehicle as-is....?

I'm a transmission tech and this is just what I'm looking for.

Anyone else have an Axiom with damaged transmission for sale, post details here.

T

Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Transdoc-

I have a 2002 Axiom 88,000 miles, transmission just started slipping, considering selling.

-Cory

rhodesc44@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Hey Cory, I sent you an email to the address provided.

T

Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM

I would sell it. the trans on an axiom is around 3500 i replaced my engine and transmission on mine. all together it was 10 grand. biggist mistake i ever made and that was at 60000 miles. and i cant even sell mine.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 PM

I bought a new to me 2002 isuzu axiom a few weeks ago. It has 94k miles. It is real clean and it is a one owner car. However, when I slow down to almost a stop ..there is a noise and feel of a small thud and when I take off there is another thud...almost like a drop. The transmission light is not on...it automatically shifts nice from 1st to 2nd when I accelerate. When I ease to a slow stop there is no noise and when I ease the acceleration there is no noise. Any clues? I am thinking transmission, but that is the only symptom, but I am thinking rear end noise too.
Thanks,
Sean
< =1.2 =text/>
<!--
var ret = ed_gen_smolinks("all", "http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e3b5f/35", .title, "post");
if (ret) {
.write(ret);
}
// -->
</>

Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Hi seanalan777,

I just purchased a 2002 Axiom w/39k miles Last week and I can notice this similar "thud" when it comes to a very complete stop and right when acceleration begins... Did you evre get an answer to your question? Does Any1 know if my vehicle is still under warranty?

Thanks

Quick Reply: defective axiom transmission