Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

TOD "check" light flashing

Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Okay I have to ask Its killin me. What does TOD stand for?

Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 PM

UPDATE!!!! So check it out, I took my trooper to the dealer and got codes 13, 21 and a few others. Turns out my TOD is fine. But the wiring aroundthe TOD shift thingy (sorryforgot what its called)burnt through. Now the new wires cost $50, no biggie but the F** labor, excuse my french is going to be $300 for the 3hrs. So just under $600 to put a few wires in. Also have to factor in the ODB cost too.

Torque On Demand, basically power when u need it. Its for the font wheels.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM

OBD*

Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 PM

I have not had too many concerns with the TOD system, but here is the most common.
1 wiring damaged at the crossmember on the pass side of vech.
2 front axle vacuum switching valve mounted on the front axle.(check the vacuum hoses for proper routing and make sure it is connected at the intake.)
3 I have found a few speed sensors bad on the transfer case.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM

I still have no heat!!! I switch on the heater in the car and it blows out regular air. The a/c works fine too. What u guys think could be it? got my trooper back works finebut forgot to ask them about the heat. Also got my egr pipe cleaned no more lights. The tech said the egr valve was fine just that pipe was clogged.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Allright, I guess I'm going to crawl under and take a look at the wiring, if I can figure out what wiring it is, and then I will look at the vacuum hose to the axle and if I can't find something obvious, I'll take it in. Troop001 and NCISUZUTECH, I appreciate all your help and suggestions, I'm hoping I can do this myself. Troop001, the first thing I'd do is to put in a new thermostatto see if that gets your heat hot. If that doesn't work, I'm pretty much lost after that, but I'd bet it works. Thanks guys, I'll post if I find anything or if I have to take it in, but I usually don't get in too big a hurry when it comes to spending money.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Same problem on my 2000 Trooper. There is a very simple yet expensive wiring harness with a couple of wires and a senor on one end. Had mine replaced and it took care of the problem. The way my mechanic explained it is the senors purpose is to ensure the all wheel drive function of the TOD works properly when running in 4WD mode on dry roads. If you recall you can leave the TOD equiped models in 4WD High all the time if you want with the front wheels kicking in only if needed. The sensor that went bad is the one that keeps everything in kilter. Without it 4WD works like a "regular" 4 wd but you can do some damage to tires and drivetrain if operating it on dry roads for extended periods. The wiring harness was about $380 and is an ISUZU piece; labor was extra. Once he got the harness (took a day) he said it took about an hour to install. Everything works fine now. A good mechanic with certifications in sensors and such can test to see if you have a short in the harness and effect the repair. I imagine the cost would be significantly higher if ISUZU makes the repair. Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM

Left this part out of the fix for the TOD. Mechanic said the sensor monitors the speed between the front wheels and the rear wheels when it is the 4wd mode to ensure the system operates like an AWD (think Subaru) system. Front kicks in when you need it.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks Lashby,

I will try to check out the wiring and/or the sensor. I really appreciate these forums and more importantly, the folks that take their time to reply and try to help others, especially those trying to save a buck or two.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 AM

</>I've just developed this same problem on my 2001. Did anyone ever come up with a solution? TOD works but the lights never come on and the check light flashes continually.

Any ideas?Edited by: applbit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TOD "check" light flashing