Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

New Guy, New-to-me trooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Default New Guy, New-to-me trooper

Hey guys, whats up?

I just bought my first trooper today so here I am.

Runs and drives. 4cyl 5speed. It has a good amount of rust and some rot on the rockers and a few other places. Not as bad as some that I have seen.

The truck has 230k miles on it and was actually maintained pretty well. It had a timing belt done at 130k but that was 100k ago so I will probably end up doing that towards the end of the summer if I haven't completely destroyed the truck by then.

The seller told me that in wet weather, it starts and runs fine, but after being driven in the rain, it wil not always start after you shut it down. I am thinking distributor cap. Any common problems with this symptom?

My buddy had a trooper just like this one wich he had paid me to build rock-crawler style bumpers and half-doors for. After he rolled the truck (totaled) and scrapped it, he kept the bumpers wich I am now buying back. He had never taken delivery of the half doors so those are becoming mine too. I'm excited to get the bumpers on the truck as soon as he ships them to me. The half doors will go on when the weather warms up here in "the peoples republic of new jersey".

I have 31" pep-boys AT's that I will be swapping onto the truck in a few days. I am hoping that they will fit with the stock suspension. (turn up the torsions a bit?)

I plan on using the truck for some easy to moderate 4wheeling to take the stress off my 04 wrangler (daily driver).

I plan on keeping the project to a $ minimum but I am open to suggestions on what you guys think are necessary upgrades for a reliable rig.

Any advise or suggestions are welcome.
I'll post up more pics sunday or early next week.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM

Wow, this forum is pretty lame.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Nice catch. I am interested in seeing the bumpers and half doors. My new to me 1988 Trooper is in the shop getting a motor swap and new front CV's. According to Wikipedia some of the Troopers came with 31's but I am still investigating. I plan to put on a 2" Calmini prerunner lift kit with the 31's. Also looking at a possible body lift but I need to investigate the floor shifter since mine is an automatic.