Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Failed Emissions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Default Failed Emissions..

Hey guys, I have a 1990 Trooper 2.8V6. I've had it though emissions and have since replaced the line coming from the top of the fuel tank to the charcoal canister they recommended me looking into. However there is a small line coming off the top of the canister labeled as "vac". The guy at the emissions highlighted that line but I have no idea where it needs to be connected to??? Any ideas?? Thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Default Failed Emissions - Charcoal line

AzTrooper

I am going to assume your '90 V6 is similar to my '91 2.8L LL2.

Coming off of my EVAP (i.e. the charcoal canister) is a small vacum line which reads "purge" instead of "vac" on top of the canister. This line goes to a tvs (thermal vacum switch) which screws into the top of the intake manifold just in front of the TB (throttle body). The tvs is a thermally controlled vacum switch which when the engine reaches operating temp opens up (top nipple) to draw any fuel vapors out of the EVAP. When the valve opens, vacum from the TB (lower nipple) draws fuel emissions from the canister via the tvs into the intake manifold via the TB input port A (see diagram as mentioned below).

You can test this tvs by removing it from the intake manifold and placing the thermocouple end in hot water (+180 if I recall). When the valve opens, you should be able to blow air through it. The valve should then close when you remove it from the hot water and it cools down thus closing the valve.

There should be a diagram of all vacum (emission) lines on your hood (upper left i.e. passenger side) which shows a schematic of all vacum lines. If not, I suggest you pick up a repair manual at you local auto parts store for your vehicle. In fact, you should have 2 or 3 because not all manuals are complete.

If you pick up a Chiltons Isuzu manual PN (8686) 36100, you will find this diagram on page 4-27, Figure. 73.

Emissions failures can be soooo many things? Has your Check Engine light been coming on?

Mr. Movida/Oregon

Here are some other things to consider:
http://www.auto-repair-help.com/auto...st_failure.php

Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Default Help- What's the lIttle inline plastic valve thing on canister line

1990 Trooper 2.8V6.
bigger line on top of charcoal canister. looks like a little inline black plastic valve. seems like it should be a check valve that only allows air through it one direction I can blow through it both directions. Is that okay?
I can't seem to find an official name for it so I can replace it. Anyone?

Thanks!!