Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Default Engine rebuild

Hey guys this if my first post here. Anyways I have a 1985 (I think) Isuzu Trooper 4x4. The inside is all ragged out and stuff but the motor runs and 4wd works but engine runs hot all the time. I think I will just rebuild the motor or find another motor for it but not sure what to do. I want the cheapest route but most reliable as this vehicle will be a trail vehicle. Most likely trailered everywhere for off-roading but still want it to be road worthy at times.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM

i use my trooper as an ORV. if your planing on doing the same. your going to have some pretty cheap fun . parts are easy to get an not too costly.

any way as too your running hot condition. get a new thermostat if you havent already installed one.

also check an make sure your engine fan is working properly. i belive if yours is like my 89 trooper. you will have what is called a "clutch fan". check to see if its good. with the engine off turn the fan by hand. if you can get it to spin like a top with no resistance. then you need a fan clutch. that will cause you to run warm.

also check your water pump. an your radiator. if there not leaking your probley safe to bet thats not it.

i would bet you need a fan clutch or thermostat. both are easy to do. an not very spendy.

oh yes look into your radiator "while its cold" an see if the radiator cores show an sighns of being plugged.

well let us know how it goes.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info. My dad has already spent about $200 getting it running but still runs hot. I will ask him and see what all he replaced. How does it do off-roading? I want to go to places like Telico but it is mainly jeeps and stuff. Also what lift kits would you go with and tires? I am new to this isuzu thing.....sorry. I will try to get some pictures of mine next time I go up to the property.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25
Thanks for the info. My dad has already spent about $200 getting it running but still runs hot. I will ask him and see what all he replaced. How does it do off-roading? I want to go to places like Telico but it is mainly jeeps and stuff. Also what lift kits would you go with and tires? I am new to this isuzu thing.....sorry. I will try to get some pictures of mine next time I go up to the property.

Thanks again for the help.
now thats the dilemma. i dont belive anyone makes any thing but body lifts.

i modded my sus a little but i am going to gosolid axles. gm 6 lugg d44's. with some low gears like 4.88 or 5.13 with some 35 inch tires. likly a 15/35/15 an a four inch lift. an square tube drive lines.

Last edited by Moutain_Ox; 03-30-2009 at 03:52 PM.