Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

91 trooper intermittent fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Default 91 trooper intermittent fuel problem

So I've had a problem with my trooper the last couple years that I thought was in the ignition. At first it just didn't want to start now an then(crank but no fire), then it started cutting out while I was driving. Sometimes it would only cut out for a split second, other times it would die and then not start until I let it sit for a day. When the problem first started I checked for spark and there was none(at least I thought) so i diagnosed from there. Seemed to be the ignition control module was failing but after the last time it died on me, I put the new icm in and it still wouldn't start. I decided to give it a spray of starting fluid just to see what would happen and it fired right up for a few seconds.

So now I think it's safe to say its a fuel problem, but not sure where to look. When it dies, theres no sputtering or lack off power, its just off like a switch like the injectors shut off or something. I would think the first thing to try isca fuel pressure test but Ive been looking at the fuel lines and don't see anywhere to hook up a tester. Anyone know where to hook it up, and also what else should I check? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Default 92 Trooper with similar trouble

Been dealing with a similar issue on a 3.2L DOHC V6. It stumbles, pukes, dies once in a while while going down the road. Metered TPS, looked for vacuum leaks, etc...but problem doesn't occur while idling in the driveway.
Installed a fuel pressure test gauge, there is no provision for connection, you have to open a fuel hose (after relieving fuel pressure of course!) and "tee" in a schrader valve for it. The gauge kit I bought included several such adaptors.The fuel pressure looks good in the driveway, so now I'm mounting the gauge so it can be seen through the windshield with the hood removed. Will drive until problem manifests...Post anything new on your case, we need all the help we can get with these strange but cool motors.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 PM
JCS

89 Trooper same problem. 2.6L. Fuel pump had intermittent coil. Would open at times and then would work at times. Found problem to be worse when fuel low and fuel pump could not get maximum cooling. Checked good with ohm meter when disconnected. Replaced pump and problem solved. On my 4th fuel pump. Best not to let fuel run low especially when reserve cell in tank is rusted and there is not enough fuel to cool the pump.