Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1990 Isuzu Trooper daytime running lights has short

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Default 1990 Isuzu Trooper daytime running lights has short

When I push on the brakes the dash lights come on,the warning light never goes out,the day time running lights don't work and when ever I hook up my utility trailer lights it blows the turn signal lights fuse.
I put a new stereo in my Trooper using only the original stereo harness,the warning light went out,the day time running lights worked and the dash stopped lighting up when I pushed the brakes but this only lasted till I shut off the ignition and when I started it up again then everything started back the way it was.

Anyone know where in the heck the short may be comming from???

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Default Daytime running lights work part of prob. solved

Turns out that the parking brake was not making contact with the switch as the switch was stuck,I unstuck the switch and the running lights are working,the warning light has also gone out.
I still have not figured out why the dash lights up when I push the brakes but I will see if the turn signal fuse blows anymore when I hook up my utility trailer lights.Any hints would be great,other than that I will keep working till I figure out the short and hope my progress helps anyone else who may be having the same issue with there Trooper.
Cheers!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Well, since you're blowing fuses when the trailer's hooked up I'd start with your trailer plug and the wiring going to it. Your dash light run on the same circuit as your tail lights. My guess would be that when you apply the brakes and the brake light circuit is energized, it's probably making contact with you tail light circuit and backfeeding to your dash lights. The short could even poossibly inside a tail light assembly or the wiring going to one may be pinched, etc. One other thing to check would be your headlight switch assembly. I had one come loose one time and started bumping into other things back there when I would hit bumps or push the brakes and it would light up all kinds of stuff (dash lights, glow plug light, etc.) Good luck

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 AM

The problem with my dash lights comming on when I push the brakes was a very simple fix,I pulled all the bulbs out of my tail lights and got the wife to push the brakes while I started putting the bulbs back in untill the dash lit up,turns out that there was a single filament bulb on the drivers side tail light where a double filament bulb was ment to be so I replaced it with the correct bulb and bobs your uncle no more dash lights comming on when brake is pressed.
I suspect my trailer lights will not blow my turn signal fuse anymore but I will soon see,I believe I have my problem licked anyhow.
Hope my problem helps someone eles out,Cheers.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:23 PM

Hello , my tail lights and dash lights mysteriously stopped working on my 99 vehiCross , the fuse is fine, bulb, any answers ? I don't believe it has ever had daytime running lights but can't be certain ! Please help.