Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

1999 Rodeo starter clicks

Old 12-25-2007, 07:21 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
My wife's 1999 Rodeo has a starter problem which began approx. 3 weeks ago. We have owned the vehicle since new. The problem seemed to be a low battery because it would click several time then perhapsturn overslower than normaland finally start. After about 2 weeks of this routine (it actually never failed to start) I had the 5 year old battery checked and it tested weak. I replacedthe battery thinking the problem was solved. However, even with the new battery we still have the clicking starter problem (perhaps not as frequently). I switched the starter and fog light relays but the problem did not change. My intuition is that the problem is the starter solenoid. Is this a common problem? Does this sound logical and,if so, is it a big deal to replace the solenoid? Thanks for your thoughts. Leon

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Check your cables and connections to make sure they are all clean. Corrosion can travel up the wire (wicking) so if they have been badly corroded they may need replaced. Get your alternator checked to make sure its charging the battery properly.

The brushes in the solenoid are the most common problem with these starters. However they are on the starter and depending on the model you have they can be a real pain to so better off just replacing the whole starter. With 2wd apparently the starter is fairly easy to remove. On 4wd however its a real pain. Either have to remove the exhaust pipe between the manifold and y-pipe (real pain if the bolts are rusted) or unbolt the left engine mount and jack up the engine. The flange bolts at the y-pipe were badly corroded on mine and I ended up having to cut the heads off of them, its just been clamped together since. With the pipe out of the way its still a really tight squeeze fitting the starter between the frame and bell housing.

I replaced mine with an autolite reman and its been doing well for 2 yrs. There are 2 locating dowels on the starter that dont come with the new one, remember to keep those for the new starter. I didnt know this and had trouble getting it aligned properly.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Yeah your starter is done. It happened to me this summer. It was so intermittent that the dealer i took it too told me that there was nothing wrong. But when they went to start it to bring it to me, it wouldn't crank haha.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>