Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

What are some common problems with Troopers?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Default What are some common problems with Troopers?

Hello. I just purchased a 1997 Trooper LS with 196,000 miles. Despite the high mileage it started, idled, shifted, and drove very well. I'm curious to hear from other trooper owners about problems your trooper has had in the past, year of your trooper, current mileage, and number of miles you've put on it since you purchased it. Since this is an older vehicle I want to be proactive in regards to maintenance. Are there certain things that I should pay special attention to with the trooper? Thanks for replying in advance and let me know if you need more information from me to better answer my questions.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM

I have a 2002 Trooper and bought it in 2008 with 86K miles. Everything was in good condition, all seemed well. I had a buddy tell me that before this year there were oil leak problems that were fixed by my year. In 2010 with 105K miles after a week from a short trip to the mountains while towing a small trailer, my engine lost all oil and, long story short, had to put a new engine in. Yes, this was my fault for not checking my levels. Also since then, my check light for my TOD has been flashing. Haven't had time to check it as it doesn't seem to affect normal driving or 4WD. I love my Trooper, wouldn't trade it for the world! So in short... my recommendation is that of normal ownership... watch those levels!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Default Any luck?

Originally Posted by palmertrooper
I have a 2002 Trooper and bought it in 2008 with 86K miles. Everything was in good condition, all seemed well. I had a buddy tell me that before this year there were oil leak problems that were fixed by my year. In 2010 with 105K miles after a week from a short trip to the mountains while towing a small trailer, my engine lost all oil and, long story short, had to put a new engine in. Yes, this was my fault for not checking my levels. Also since then, my check light for my TOD has been flashing. Haven't had time to check it as it doesn't seem to affect normal driving or 4WD. I love my Trooper, wouldn't trade it for the world! So in short... my recommendation is that of normal ownership... watch those levels!
Did you ever find out why the Check Engine light was flashing? All I found out on mine is the I have a random cylinder misfire. Its causing horrible fuel economy but it only happens when it's been in stop and go traffic, or idling for more then 5 min.