General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

95 trooper transmission problems

Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Default 95 trooper transmission problems

I have a 95 v6 limited with only 95000 miles on it. recently the check trans light started intermittently coming on, sometimes within minutes and sometimes only every after several days. When it does the vehicle will not automatically upshift or downshift out of the drive (4th?) gea,r but I can manually shift it through the gears and it works fine. If I turn off the ignition and restart the truck the problem immediately goes away. Fluids are full and recently replaced and the trans does not slip or have any other problems.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 AM

check your transmission fluid.It is used in vehicles with self shifting or automatic transmissions.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 AM

I have perhaps the same problem with my Trooper, also a 1995 Limited model. Mine has a lot of miles though, and the transmission was rebuilt or replaced in 2007. It includes a button for "winter" mode - where it starts out in 3rd gear. When I encounter this problem it is like it is stuck in winter mode (without the dash light or switch indicating it) - it starts out in 3rd and won't drop any lower. The immediate fix is to shut the motor off and restart it. The problem arises about 1 out of 3 or 4 starts, and restarting has fixed it every time I've tried it. If everything is okay initially then it usually continues to shift right until shut off, though once it started acting up after being put into Park for a minute.

Does anyone know if there is some actuator or something somewhere that is sticking? We need someone who knows about transmissions or has seen this before to chime in.

Sean

Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Default Transmission

Transmission can improve the performance of your vehicle in great way. But this is a very high cost upgrade for you.

Last edited by thomas.cena09; 11-23-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by thomas.cena09
Transmission can improve the performance of your vehicle in great way. But this is a very high cost upgrade for you.
I don't understand, do you mean a new or rebuilt transmission? Mine was rebuilt in 2007 and normally works very well. It shifts fine and doesn't seem to slip, except for when it sticks in "winter mode" or maybe "limp mode" at startup, meaning it starts in 3rd gear and will not go lower. Shutting off the engine and restarting it has made it work properly every time it has done this one me, though I think one time it started acting wacky after I had been driving and left it in park for a few minutes, not sure though.

If the fix for this is expensive, I will not even consider it any time soon, and I will look into changing over to a manual transmission next summer. Is this a possibility without any major headaches? I am digging the Trooper, but I kinda miss the handling and perfect clutch of my RX-7s and the capability and easy driving of my Subaru. I think I'll keep the Trooper but get a second, much smaller car after this winter.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Oh, I was just reading about how a weak battery or alternator which is not putting out enough voltage can cause an automatic transmission to trip into "limp" mode. I just checked my battery, and it seems plenty strong enough. And the alternator, which I was concerned about, was charging at 14v at idle with accessories off, and never dropped below 13.8v with EVERYTHING running - AC, seat and mirror heaters, stereo, rear defroster, headlights, fog lights. So the charging system is not the problem in my case, though I understand it can be one.

I have yet to see the "check trans" light. Should it come on at startup if it is working? I'm not sure it does.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Default 95 trooper transmission problems

Where do you live.......I know a place in Charlotte Bills Transmission off Freedom drive.......Builds my racing transmissions