General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1989 Isuzu Amigo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I need some help...

I have a 1989 Isuzu Amigo that I bought from a former friend.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] The fuel pump kept going out and it has been sitting for a couple of years. I recently decided to try to get it running. I disconnected to fuel pump located in the fuel tank and installed a new fuel pump on the outside of the fuel tank.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Well I've burnt up 2 fuel pumps already and the other day I was out of town, 3 hours from home and my Amigo wouldn't start![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

That's when my cousin had to bring me the second fuel pump. I've double checked everything and now I can't trust it to get me around.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what is going wrong? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

it sounds like youre either damanding too much fuel or youre pushing too much power into them. have you tried a higher volume pump

Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM

Just a thought,did you hook up pump and run into container to see how it's pumping,maybe it's clogged or rusted line and the pump is getting over worked trying to pump and burning out

Old 03-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
biglou.has the right idea,make sure the tank isnt full of rust an damaging the pumps,there is a screen inthe tank that attaches to the pump.they clogg very easily in old tanks,isuzu fuel tanks to rust from the inside out i,ve noticed.esp since it has been sitting for 2 yrs +.an be sure to check it electrically,good ground connections an for intermitant power loss.to go through that many pumps so fast is usaually a trash problem

Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM

I just had a vehicle with a fuel tank that was rusted bad causing bad hesistations, sounds like the sock is stopped up in the tank with rust, if you take the tank off and drain the fuel can around to local rad shops some of them will install a sealant inside of the tank, because the tanks are on national back order