General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Wierd Reverse/Backup light issue

Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM

This is by far the wierdest problem I have ever encountered. I just replaced the clutch on my94 Isuzu Rodeo. While that all went smooth when you shift it into 3rd or 4th gear the reverse/backup lights come on but not when it is in reverse. I have disconnected every wire from the wiring harness that goes to the tranny and it still does what it does. I went to the parts store and looked at a picture of the backup light switch (there are four such switches screwed into the sides of the tranny total) but plugged or unplugged I can't get the lights to come on while the truck is in reverse. Any ideas? I am going to ordera backup switch but I am still confused why it does what it does with all the switches unplugged?

thanks in advance,
Shad

Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

when you did the clutch ,you mixed up how the wires connect.which is easy to do since there are so many an they all can fit together.my advice....look at your harness closely.you can tell by the length of the wire which one goes where.if you route the harness like it came out.the wires pretty much lay back where they came from,an you can tell which switch conected to harness lead.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Hey ISUZUGURU, or anyone else

do you happen to know if the backup light switch is one and the same as the neutral safety switch? It's the only switch I can find on the tranny on a 2004 Rodeo 4x4 automatic. Last four of VIN is 44312521 if you can use it...

The backup lights do not work and this is the only thing I can suspect...fuses are all good...

I also noticed that every other letter on the gear display (on dash) does not light up, i.e., R D and 2. The P N 1 and 3 all light up...

Thanks

And ISUZUGURU, your private message box is full and I'm not able to send any...