Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

replacing thermostat

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Howdy, I'm new here, but I think this site will be critical for maintaining my Rodeo. I've never replaced a thermostat. How difficult would it be for me to replace the thermostat on my '94 Rodeo V6?I picked up my Rodeo from theshopafter it being there for aweek (rebuilding tranny), and, unbeknown to me,my radiatorwas quite low. As I'm driving home I noticed it overheating. I stopped at the nearest store & dumped an entire gallon of coolant into the radiator & resevoir. I started her back up & the gauge immediately dropped from midrange to not registering. So I'm guessing thermostat? And just how difficult? Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 01:51 AM

look for coolant under the intake, the heater core pipes run under the intake and the o-rings leak, also on the back of the heads is a cross over pipe and the gaskets leak if you have the cross over leaking replace the o-rings at the same time, the thermostat is very simply to replace, when you look at the engine the hose on your left is where the thermostat housing is there are 3 bolt 12mm heads remove them and take out the thermostat, but make sure that you clean off all of the gasket, and look at the way the old thermostat is installed if not put in correctly you can damage the housing, the thermostat has a little check valve on it, it goes to the 12 o'clock position

Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the leaks. I'll check them. After posting that question last night, I did something that I should have done a long time ago: I bought a Haynes Manual. With the manual and this website, replacing the thermostat appears to be quite simple. Thanks again