Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Changing timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 PM

'98 Rodeo

I am changing the timing belt. I was also planning on changing the tensioner and idler pulleys. What else should I change while I am in there? Maybe the water pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

definatly change the tensioner every time you do the timing belt.the water pump can stay if its not leaking the o.e pumps dont go bad very much for those yrs.if you do decide to change it try to stay with the isuzu brand,or the best qaulity aftermarket,spend the extra dollar for a good brand.be sure to align your marks before removing the belt.98 an up 3.2 3.5 engines have kinda a funny procedure for timing the camshafts.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:52 PM

take your time placing the pulleys on the timing marks before removing the timing belt. If your rodeo is standard then you can put it in first gear and push the car back and forth untill you get the timing mark aligned with the tdc mark, make shure to do that on a flat surface.After you align the timing marks, make shure to leave the tranny in neutral. If your tensioner is hydraulic, you have tobuy a new one when you change the timing belt. With a spring loaded tensionerit is optional. When I had to change the timing belt on my trooper I had to use an impact wrench to loosten the damper because it was imposible to loosen it by hand, so keep that in mind if yours dosent want to budge. I didnt change the spring tensioner, because mine is a spring design, and it was in great shape. Since you have to remove the radiator you can take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned inside. You can alsoconsider the replacement of all the v-belts/serpentine belt. You can also flush the enginecoolantwith a garden hose. In all my cars I use distilled water in the coolant system because it does not contain minerals and it wont create sediments nor corrosion,I dont need coolant because I live in the tropics.

good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Default how to change timing belt

I just finished changing my timing belt on my 95 3.2L rodeo and it wasn't that hard to tell you the truth. I didn't take the radiator out to do it. I just took out the fan and then the belts and spark plugs(makes it easier for the engine to rotate) and got my breaker bar with a 24mm socket and placed it on the crank pulley bolt and bumped the starter and it came right off. Well after the timing shroud was removed and the pulley i took off the belt and tensioner. You set the timing by looking at the cam gears and there is a mark on each gear and you line it up with the mark on the shroud behind the cam gear(I believe the passenger is at 10 o'clock and the drivers side is at 4 o'clock). The crank gear needs to be set at 3 o'clock. It has a notch in the gear and on the block to line up. Make sure these are in line or it won't run (or will run like crap). DEFINATELY change your automatic hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner roller; as well as the idler pulleys and of course the belt. No need for the water pump unless you want to. I know you didn't ask for all this info but it might come in handy for you. Happy wrenching!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Exclamation P.S.

Also to lowtrooper... Coolant is not just for making your water not freeze. It has lubricants in it to lube your water pump and other parts in the cooling system. You don't want anything to seize up cause of lack of lubrication

Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 AM

You set the timing by looking at the cam gears and there is a mark on each gear and you line it up with the mark on the shroud behind the cam gear(I believe the passenger is at 10 o'clock and the drivers side is at 4 o'clock). The crank gear needs to be set at 3 o'clock. It has a notch in the gear and on the block to line up. Make sure these are in line or it won't run (or will run like crap). DEFINATELY change your automatic hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner roller; as well as the idler pulleys and of course the belt. No need for the water pump unless you want to. I know you didn't ask for all this info but it might come in handy for you.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM

definatly change the tensioner every time you do the timing belt.the water pump can stay if its not leaking the o.e pumps dont go bad very much for those yrs.if you do decide to change it try to stay with the isuzu brand,or the best qaulity aftermarket,spend the extra dollar for a good brand.be sure to align your marks before removing the belt.98 an up 3.2 3.5 engines have kinda a funny procedure for timing the camshafts.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Default tensioner

Ok, Im changing timing belt on 2000 rodeo 3.2. How do I change the tensioner? unbolt old and bolt in new? how does it set tension w/o oil pressure? is it a ratcheting device and if so and I dont get the timing of belt right the first try, can I get it to retreat.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Yes the tensioner is just 2 bolts on the left hand side. You have to use a vise or a big C-clamp to compress the rod coming out of the tensioner. You will see a hole on the rod and the tensioner housing that you put a small nail or pin in to hold it in place. When you bolt the tensioner back in pull the pin out it will auto adjust.