Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2005 D-max question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Question 2005 D-max question

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 2005 (October build) 3.0 diesel manual Rodeo D-Max which has two small potential issues.

1. The engine management light intermittently comes on for a few seconds then goes off by itself. It did this once where I had to stop and switch off completely for the light to go off.

2. When I unlock the drivers side door with the key, the central locking unlocks all 4 doors but the hazard lights come on and the motor will not start, as if it's been broken into and the security has been activated. I need to switch the ignition on and off to reset the system before the motor turns over and switches on.

Both of these issues seem like an electrical issue rather than a mechanical fault - if the engine was genuinely in need of attention the light would be on permanently and the truck would (I expect) go into limp mode, which does not happen. The motor sounds and feels fine. As far as the locking/unlocking/hazard lights issue, this too is mostly intermittent.

Would I be right in thinking this is a related electrical issue?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM

My guess on the no start/blinking lights is someone like the previous owner or used dealer added an aftermarket alarm. If you look under the knee bolster under the steering wheel, you'll likely find a black box with an obscene bundle of wires coming out zip-tied to some of the inner workings. In most cases, you can just remove the wire harness from the box and leave it alone.

In rarer cases, installers cut the ignition switch harness and run it through that little black box so it can decide whether your is being stolen or not and disable the starter accordingly. Just unplug the wire harness and see if it starts. It probably will.

As for the EML, even when the light comes on momentarily, the computer stores a code. I'd get someone with a diagnostic scanner to read the code and go from there.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 AM

Update:

Issue 1: I have to turn the ignition to position 2 (not turn the motor over) to switch off the hazards after unlocking the doors. At this point I've just accepted that it is what it is, although I will have a look at the wiring as you suggest. I think this is caused by the fact that I am not using the original key fob to unlock the doors, but what may be an after market replacement.

Issue 2: According to the manual, intermittent engine warning light means it needs a service. One was done and the light has not come back on since. The garage attempted to read the codes but there were none recorded. Maybe since the light was intermittent it did not record any data?

Thanks