New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

isuzu rodeo transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:39 PM

Hello this being my first time here and my 2nd isuzu i should say I NEED HELP i am confused i just bought a 1998 isuzu rodeo I got it really cheap 700 dollars a steal right? well maybe not.. the guy i bought it from said the transmission light came on and he had it towed home it was leaking fluid from underneath he didnt want to put money into it and sold it well i found the leak which was a hose going to the radiator replaced it and bought a nice pump to put the fluid in at the transmission pan (fun fun) i got it full and i also added a quart of lucas transmission fix stuff supposed to work great (not really) now its full of fluid and not leaking awesome i got a great deal......nope now all i have is first gear and reverse i put it into winter mode (3.2 v6 2wd) and it goes nowhere i put it in power mode and nothing changes still only first gear if i get the rpm's up and let off the throttle it goes directly to neutral until i either rev it up enough to catch the rpm's to the speed or i slow down then it goes into first again ......ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED EMAIL ME JROCKS619@GMAIL.COM

Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Hey I have a 95 Rodeo and had a similiar issue with the A/T. I ended up replacing the transmission for $500 and put it in myself and nothing changed still stayed in 1st. I could change the gears manually but it would shift on its own. Well after a day or two I went through and checked the fuses under the dash again... the brake light fuse was blown I replaced it and haven't had a problem since.. It was an expensive learning experience but hey maybe it'll help you out too..

Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Take it in to a tranny shop and have them Diagnose it for you, most do this free. If you cant tow it down with a tow rope, I would check your fluid level and check all fuses. I dont think the brake light fuse is connected to the tranny comp. but it may be just a blown fuses. I am not sure what tranny they put into that year. Gizmo might know better, or one of the moderators. Just my 2 cents[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM

I have replaced the transmission myself buying one for what i think is a great deal has 59k on it with a 90 day warranty for 560 bucks during the installation though "following the haynes manual" i let the tail of the transmission drop (after removing the mount) so I can get to the top 2 bolts and both of my exhaust pipes broke right at the flange I am all back together now and doing my fluid and filter change tomorrow not a bad deal i dont think my other transmission was burnt bad the NEW fluid looked like old motor oil when i drained it and some small metal pieces came with it if anyone needs isuzu parts at a decent price with a warranty check out the www.y-yard.com I am located in Illinois i dont know about shipping prices though i know they wont ship over seas. i even went back for a few more parts roughly 1/3 of the price of new in most cases with a warranty</span></font>