New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

98 Trooper blown computer

Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Default 98 Trooper blown computer

I hope you can help me out.* A few months ago, my Trooper stopped running completely.* The shop indicated the alternator started putting out AC instead of DC voltage.* They were able to get the engine running by leaving a code reader in. (I purchased from Harbor Freight)* However, after replacing the alternator, I still had to hot wire a manual voltage regulator in line as the computer would not send a proper signal to the alternator that has a built in regulator.

I purchased a used ECM on line.* It worked fine for the most part.* I no longer needed the code reader and manual voltage reader.* The only issue I had was that the fuel gauge read backwards.* After a couple of months though, the amount of voltage the alternator put out began to fluctuate and even quit on occasion.* This seemed to occur when the engine was revved over about 3300 rpm.* During the malfunctioning, multiple warning light would flash on and off.* Eventually it seemed the alternator would recover and start charging as normal.* Then after a few weeks, the replacement computer gave out and would only function when a code reader was attached.

I obtained a 3rd used computer.* This time the fuel guage seems to work most of the time; however, I still have to keep the code reader plugged in.* The alternator still acts up as the previous one does.

I removed the alternator and had it checked out on a machine at the parts store and it checked out fine.*

So, that's a summary of the issues I am having.* Please advise if you need any more information.* Let me know if you can help.* Lastly, I checked my area and have not been able to find a source to "program" a computer so I hope you can help with this issue.* As far as I can tell, the Trooper does not have California or Canadian emissions.