Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 AM

so I have a 1989 Trooper II with the 2.6L motor and manual trans.

my question is that the head was off for a valve job and mill job and cleaning up due to a blown head gasket.

While the head was off I noticed a strange thing, when you set the harmomic balancer marks to "0" the number 4 cyl is at TDC like it should. but if you follow the directions for timing belt replacement it says to line up the crankshaft pulley (pulley timing belt rides on) with the timing mark on the oil seal retainer..... to do this I have to rotate the motor about 2 teeth clockwise, which in turn brings the number 4 cyl to after top dead center. and then you line up the marks on the camshaft pulley like it says and place the belt on.

I got all that but is this right?? do you set the belt to the marks or do you set the belt to TDC. like most cars.

any techs in the house??

let me know

thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 10:57 AM

You will need to line up the marks (crankshaft to oil seal retainer, cam to plate). Make sure the slack is on the tensioner side.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM

thanks, I did that, I set the crank pulley (timing belt pulley) lined up with the mark on oil retainer, then aligned the cam to the front cover mark.

installed the belt with tension on the side opposite the tensioner and released the tensioner. Both markes stayed lined up. rolled the motor over two turns counter clock wise (backwards) and lined the marks up again. They are still aligned, loostned the tensioner bolt once more and then tightned it to specs.

does this sound correct??

I then adjusted the valve lash (cold) to .008" on the valves for #4 TDC and then rolled the motor over to #1TDC and adjusted the rest.

i havent tried to start it yet, I just want feedback on this.

thanks again

Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 PM

Everything sounds good. You should be alright.