Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

91 trooper hub noise.. safetey issue?

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 PM

hi all,

first time poster, glad to have found this forum!

just picked up a 91 trooper, rebuilt 4 cyl runs strong, 5 speed seems pretty tight, has some body issues but it was only $800 so no complaints.

it does however make a really horrible clanking rattling messy sound which seems to be coming from the front right hub (auto lockers).

I had the brakes checked out and the guy at the shop said he thought the noise might be the auto hub trying to engage/disengage or else something inside there just plain busted. it definitly clanks and rattles in relation to road bumps.

is this a safety issue? my plan with this truck is to drive it down to baja mex where I work and have any stuff the truck might need fixed there (way cheaper) but I'm afraid of making the 1600 mile trip if the hub issue is a safety one.

also, I don't really know anything about these trucks or their auto hubs and it didnt' seem like the brake guy was 100% sure either, so if anyone has any other ideas of stuff I might have checked out (or can recommend someone or a shop in the SF bay area) I'd really appreciate it.

thanks!

lb

Old 05-02-2007, 01:40 AM

i bet its your CV joints. when they are bad they come out of the grooves and rattle and if you wait lng enough it can bind and maybe flip you, but not likely. if both your front tires spin in 4 wd when you lock the front aisin hubs, then it isnt your cv's.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:35 AM

dude it may be as easy as the vanity caps onthe auto lock hub,try tightening your lugs or getting some rubber washers, that might do it mine rattle and t is loud and anoying, but that might not be your problem...