Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Thinking of buying a 1999 rodeo v6

Old 03-17-2007, 05:02 AM

Hi im looking at a 4x4 rodeo v6 3.2 engine with auto tranny. Whats the good bad and ugly. Am i making a mistake buying this or should i go tried and true jeep grand cherokee 4.0 sraight six. What mainatance should i expect with 65k miles and is there a chance the current owner let the oil drop low? Also are rodeos back of book resale?Edited by: mrwrangler

Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Read "Considering 99 Rodeo Price" A few posts down. It has all of what I have found with my 99. I would say the biggest complaint is going to be oil consumption and there is a chance the previous owner has let the oil drop. What I have found though is that at the very bottom of the dipstick is one liter to full again. That means there is still more than 4 liters of oil in the motor if you include the filter. Personally I don't like the fact that the Grand Cherokee is unit body construction. You cannot make it a true 4x4 unless you box in a frame to body underside. I have also found that friends of mine have had lots of transmission problems which included leaks and catastrophic and failure after about 150000 km's. On the other hand the Rodeo seems to be a very reliable vehicle so far for me with the exception of the oil consumption. It always starts and has good power and it's still on a frame so it's probably a little bit better in heavier off road conditions. But, parts (at least in Canada) have been more difficult to find. Im not sure what they are like as far as reliability or parts availability but I may want to consider a Nissan Xterra. Decent power, and still on a frame. I'll probably stick with my Rodeo, It's quirky and not as common as others.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:20 AM

I checked out the truck today and guess what no oil showed on the dip stick. That bums me out even if i got it for wholesale theres a chance i might need a new engine? Funny the oil didnt look like oil gesh sludge city. I am still considering the truck though lol i need a vehicle to pull my small boat before summer is over like last year [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] . Im not looking for a good offroading vehcile cause a jeep wrangler tj would be the best solid front axle. Even if he sold the isuzu for half his asking price id still put $1000 in maintance like timming belt,battery and cables,oil change hehe,pvc,fuel sending unit.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Well I can tell you that my rodeo tows my two quads, Girlfriend, dog, and a weeks worth of camping gear with out even breathing hard. And, if you find yourself going into a less that desirable road with you boat, it will do the job. Not to mention if you do any camping it will get you there and back with a little more room than the Jeep. I would recommend a compression test before purchasing the Rodeo and I would talk the guy down in price. Chances are he's selling it due to oil consumtion. As long as you can put up with putting oil in and make sure it's always topped up, the vehicle should run forever. Edited by: spence121

Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM

After doing some homework man there are alot forsale? Highest bid on ebay was 5grand. I was going to offer the guy $4000 for the rodeo 99,green,auto,4x4,56kmiles. Though the miles on the vehcile look hard like drive to work two miles stuff. I really want a toyota truck but cant stand trying to buy one to much work. Things i like about the rodeo could pull my boat to the lake and do excellent campouts with a tent and all my gear. Ive had like 8 jeeps over the years all wranglers i really like them but i alway mod em to much so there not perfect tow vehiles when im done. Im now thinking offering $3500 for it just to mess around i guess. Wonder what dealers offer? FYI i did find many for sale and am looking at a one owner 2001 with 65k miles sliver shes asking 9 grand though. Id be willing to pay what i could sell it for that seems fair.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Good luck,

I think you will be happy with a rodeo for exactly what you want to do with it if you can get by the quirks, but I think you're best off looking around like you said. Sounds like you will get a better deal elsewhere. I agree, Toytas are a hassle to look for and I think way over priced even used.