Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

EGR problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM

So, my friend has a 98 Trooper and said her check engine light came on and she had lost gobs of power. I told her I'd check it out for her. Well, first up, I found a slightly cracked PCV pipe and ordered the part for her. I replaced it and she said her light was still on. So I had a friend scan it and came up with an EGR code. She decided to take it and have the EGR replaced because the thing was clogged like crazy. Well, that was fine for about 2 weeks when the light came back on. Another scan revealed the same thing. I went to the mechanic with her and and them replace the valve again (completely buggered in 2 weeks) and clean as much carbon out of the system as humanly possible. 4 weeks and the exact same problem. I replaced it myself this time and spent hours scraping what little bit of carbon I could still get out of the system. Well, that was good for about another 4 weeks and we're back to square one.

Is this a common problem on the Troopers? I can't figure out what's going on for the life of me. Each one we pulled out looked like it had been in there for ages. I'm about over the sodding thing and would like to know if anyone has any ideas.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM

When you cleaned out the egr did you open the throtle body, if you did not the the port is still clogged, open the throtle body and look inside and you will see a pipe (a goldish coolor) that port is clogged you need to clean it out then replace the pcv valve, when they suck oil that's where it build up at. Make sure you use a factory pcv valve due to it is deisgned just for the isuzu engines, let me know if this corrects your problem

Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH
When you cleaned out the egr did you open the throtle body, if you did not the the port is still clogged, open the throtle body and look inside and you will see a pipe (a goldish coolor) that port is clogged you need to clean it out then replace the pcv valve, when they suck oil that''s where it build up at. Make sure you use a factory pcv valve due to it is deisgned just for the isuzu engines, let me know if this corrects your problem
Hello Mastertech, does this reply also apply to a 1996 EFI 3.2 Troopper engine?
I have cleaned the EGR several times and the ligth comes back on with code 1406 "Pintle Position Circuit" Please help.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:45 AM

this hasnt happend on my 98 trooper yet