General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine rebuild 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 PM

Hi I have a 99 amigo with 3.2 I bought the truck with seized motor.the guy I bought from ahd jiffy lube do oil change drove home and parked went to start and was seized seems they forgot to put oil in.I was thinking of rebuilding this motor.All the rebuild kits i found were around 800 bucks and don't include cams .Are there bearings for the cams or are they just fit to the heads? Being that it had no oil Im thinking there is probable damsge to the cam surfaces.I also saw posted on the site somewhere that maybe a gm 2.8 will bolt up to v6 trans. I could build a killer 2.8 for half the rebuild kit on the isuzu 3.2 any sugestions.I can';t see paying 1500 200 for a motor with 100k on it and doing all the owrk to have it crap out.thanks for any help

Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

i would go junk yard engine,or any local long block reman.if you can rebuild it yourself its a shot too.he should have gotton jiffy lube to buy him another engine.as you tear it done you,ll find number 1 or 2 rod has spun.right next to the oil pump do to lack of oil.i currently have 2 cylinder heads fully loaded if interested that i kept from doing engine replacements at my old dealership.but.i think you would be better off going fully reman.piecing it together can be just as expensive.isuzu parts are not cheap

Old 12-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

an no the cam dont have bearing there machined surfaced.i bet the heads are find as long as the piston didnt fly up when the rod broke.that engine is not an interference motor.it has plenty of room for valve movement.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:32 PM

thanks for the help,i have a couple amigos.I put a motor in my 98 with a 2.2 and noticed the cams didn't have bearings.I have a 99 2.2 and a 99 v6 auto 3.2 whcih is theone I';m asking questions about.Im 6-8 and really want the auto.i bought all 3 not running both 2.2 the cam tensioners went.The second one the guy had shop do headgasket and they used old cam tensioner and belt and it went in about 50 miles tore up new head put holes in pistons the first one did the same.I was thinking of rebuilding if it doesnt look to bad and if to much isn't destroyed.I know the parts are expensive and originally I wanted to put a gm 4.3 in.I found a place that has total rebuild kit for like 800.most motor have over 100 k and they want 1500 up and they have already been pulled so I'm taking a chance.I have a question on my 2.2 you might know it's been stumping me.Ill post thanks LOU

Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Hi Isuzuguru i have a 99 2.2 5 spd that i changed motor,bought the truck blown motor the check engine light comes on for a couple days and then goes off.I checked the codes and comes up engine misfire.I changed the plugs,wires,coil pac,cam sensor,injectors,computer,o2 sensors,everything but crank sensor.It runs mint no ruff idel and no mifires.I brought to 3 different people and then to Isuzu and they said cam sensor,i find it hard to believe 3 cam sensors do the same thing.The only 2 things that I can think it could possibly be is the belt is slacking and causing cam and crank sensors to read different or a bad ground.I pulled harness aprt and both sensors use same ground.It does exactly the same thing after i changes each part.ps the isuzu dealer charged me 12 bucks for haz waste.Wow i asked what was haz and he had no answer.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

2.2. are very tempermental,first when you changed the motor,did you do it or did the dealer or a shop do it?if you did it yourself,there is a step that you might have missed.when the crank sensor is replaced or the engine is replaced or pcm.the pcm has to go through a crank angle learn procedure.if this wasnt done the check engine light will come on an possible give you false misfire codes.now i,m not sure if anyone else but the dealer can do this because they have the scan tool to make the pcm learn this.hmmmm........make sure you use platinum spark plugs,thats what comes in there originally,this can also set misfire codes.does it give you a specific clyinder code.?like...po301,po302,po303 etc.or p0300 random misfire?give me somemore info on the exact number code that you have.also cam sensor do go bad often it may be bad again.that sensor can be gotton from daewoo cheaper.its the same engine as the nubria 2.2l.i dont know why isuzu went with that austrailian engine.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:34 AM

Yes it comes up po300 random misfire and yes I did put the motor in myself. The dealer said it cam up with cam sensor code but I had a buddy check it and he never got that code and neither did another guy and I have a mac elite scan tool and it only comes up p0300 on mine.I did see something that my buddy wrote that something might have to be recalibrated would that be it? This light drives me crazy.The snapshot on my scan tool shows it happening about 56-60 mph 2650-3000 rpm.What should I do call dealer and ask if they can do the procedure.I live on Long Island NY and the problem is there is only one delaer left that does isuzu and there really a suzuki delaer.Is it possible that all thre of these cam sensors are bad and would they only set the light off evy once and awhile.I figured if it was bad the light would come on and stay on.Thanks it's nice to talk to someone who knows something about these trucks