Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

VALVE NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:33 AM

I AM A NEW MEMBER TO THIS SITE. I DID A SEARCH AND DID NOT FIND ANYTHING ON MY PROBLEM. I HAVE A 1994 TROOPER WITH THE 3.2 LITER - SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM ENGINE WITH 86000 MILES. THE OTHER DAY THE VALVES STARTED CLICKING REALLY LOUD ALL OF A SUDDEN. I HAD JUST FILLED IT UP WITH GAS WITH 89 OCT. MID GRADE GAS. IT PERSISTED FOR A FEW DAYS. I DECIDED THAT I MAY HAVE GOT SOME BAD GAS AND FILLED IT UP WITH HIGH TEST GAS. IT STILL MADE THE NOISE FOR A DAY OR TWO AND THEN STOPPED AS SUDDENLY AS IT BEGAN. THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT NEVER CAME ON OR ANYTHING. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT THIS? IS THIS A COMMON OCCURANCE FOR THIS ENGINE? COULD IT HAVE BEEN DUE TI THE LOW OCTANE GAS? ANY REPLY OR COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED. THANKS

Old 04-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

i think that what you were hearing wasnt a valve noise, but was a detonation issue..when you put octane that is too low in a vehicle, or get some bad fuel, it can cost an engine "knock" because it is detonating when the pitson is not at TDC, which creates that noise..since it went away when you put better fuel in, that would be my guess..i would try running seom injector cleaner through it..

Old 05-05-2005, 02:17 AM

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

I have a 92 trooper that has started getting very bad gas milage. It started out by a chugging when driving. I have upgraded my gas and it has gotton better. My husband has replaced by o2 sencer but we are not sure what to do next. It has 175.000 miles on it. It also has the ticking that was talked about. I usually stops after an oil change and I run heavier oil in it.Edited by: ajmcocoa

Old 10-01-2005, 09:15 PM

I have a 96 Trooper that started doing the "valve clattering" thing.

I have tried all sorts of oil additives, without success. I talked to a mechanic who recommended using Mobile1 0W-30w synthetic oil.

It made a difference, but I still have the noise (reduced volume).

I hear it's $2700 dollars to have the engine repaired, and I question the value, considering it has 132,000 miles on it now.

Has anyone heard anything that might help? I'm considering getting a used engine, and doing an engineswap. The rest of the truck is just fine.

Help?

Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM

The valve noise you hearcould befrom the valve train. The engine is equipped with hydraulic valve lash adjusters instead of lifters or mechanical adjusters. Pressure from the oil pump applies pressure to the adjusters to take up the valve lash. Using a higher grade synthetic oil will quiet the noise or go the route i went and had a local machine shop make me mechanicl adjusters that slipped into the holes that the hydraulic adjusters once sat. Then adjusted them to the factory specs for valve lash. Another option that the machinist said was to install a high volume oil pump and use a 10-40 synthetic oil, but i would of gone that route if i could find a high volume oil pump, hope this helps you, i still have altenator problems can anyone help?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 AM

have you tried an additive calledseafoam?

Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 PM

u need rocker arms and shafts and more than likely unless u get a low milage well maintained used engine you will get an engine with the same problem or not 2 far from it

Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 PM

A 94 3.2 liter v-6 sohc doesn't have rocker arms or shafts, it's an overhead cam with followers and hydraulic valve lash adjusters. The followers ride under the cam and push directly on the valve stems and the followers pivot from the lash adjusters. The adjusters use oil pressure to pump up to take out any valve lash the followers may have. Milage, oil viscosity, pressure etc.. can all effect valve noise.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sailor285
have you tried an additive calledseafoam?

seafoam is a deturgent that some people run through the block and intake, but in my opinion is a bad idea. Also, because of how much cleaning seafoam actually does (IE; removing oil films in the head and blockcausing MORE friction while its in your motor) it seems that it would only make it worse. [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ajmcocoa

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

I have a 92 trooper that has started getting very bad gas milage. It started out by a chugging when driving. I have upgraded my gas and it has gotton better. My husband has replaced by o2 sencer but we are not sure what to do next. It has 175.000 miles on it. It also has the ticking that was talked about. I usually stops after an oil change and I run heavier oil in it.

your problem is in the valve-lash adjustment, any mechanic shop should be able to fix that minor inconvenience.

Quick Reply: VALVE NOISE