General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

98 Rodeo 3.2 RH bank miss, exh pipe red

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM

Can you offer a suggestion as to where I might find solution?

When theRodeo starts up cold, it runs fine. Within minutes the Right Bank misfires and the exhaust pipe glows red just behind the catalytic converter.

I recently replaced the automatic transmission and thought I might have wrongly connected the O2 sensors, as the harness fits with different configurations. But the problem did not manifest right away. I took it to an Isuzu dealer when it was a minor accleleration misfire. The diagnosis was inconclusive, and the tech needed to check into the mechanical operation, which would require a 4-hour commitment at $95/hr. I declined. About 100 miles later the right bank failed while driving at highway speeds, and the converter began to heat up.

Other info: The Rodeo came into my posession with a broken flexplate. After removing the trans,I discovered that the dowel pins were missing.The vehiclewas unused from April to August. Engine was replaced about a year ago. When I removed the trans to install the dowel pins,I neglected to mark the O2 wiring connectors.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM

the o2 connectors shouldn't hurt, i believe they can only go on one way, the only thing that would matter is if the rear bank o2 sensor is hooked to the front bank, but then the porblem i believe should have started right away, if it is glowing red behind the cat this is because that bank isnt firing, all the un-used gas is then getting burned up in the cat, this is very damaging to catalytic converters and there is a chance that one will plug up, i would go after your ignition and make sure it is getting spark, because it is for sure getting fuel so thats about the only other thing, hope that may help at least alittle, good luck!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

bad catalytic converters will show up after the vehicle is hot .crossed o2 sensors will also cause ignition misfires,some how the pcm can tell the difference.get the exhaust system back pressure checked cold an hot.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 PM

crossing the o2 sensor will cause the same problem you are having and will act like a clogged cat, ck the o2 sensor wiring then ck back

pressure, also if you have a tech 2 look at cylinder misfire counter if the cat is clogged it will be misfiring on that bank when it begins to get hot. your problem seems to be a o2 sensor wiring problem