Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

"Check Lights" Misbehaving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

About three weeks ago, wifey was driving the '96 Trooper S to work, and the Check Engine light came on solid, and the Check Transmission light flashed. Our truck has the automatic transmission.She didher shift, and the truck ran perfectly all the wayhome. The next morning I stared the truck, and had the same result. On a hunch,I took off the gas cap, waited a minute, and replaced it. No more lights.

A week later, I was driving the truck and the same thing happened. Got to work, removed-waited-replaced the gas cap, and no more lights.

About two weeks pass, and yesterday I was driving it and the AT Oil Temp lightand the Rear ABS lights came on, stayed lit forperhaps 5 secs, and then went out. All of this is making me paranoid. The truck has 145k on it, so I wonderif he truck is ok, and I have a bunch of bad senders or sensors. Anyone had the same experience? Cheers,

David

Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

check engine an check trans light can come on at the same time for a problem that effects both things,trans temp an abs have no relation.i,ll just would take it to be serviced an see what they say about it.start from there.taking off the gas cap DOESNT DO A THING except for making it set a po440 code large evap leak detected.esp if you did this with the engine running.when you take it for service they may see that an charge you more diag time,for a problem that was self inflicted.let them know what you did,so they know to ignore it.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:36 PM

Guru,

Thanks for the input. The two times I did the "gas cap trick", the engine was OFF. I knew better than to do it with the engine running. I know you had to ask, though! It just seems that the gas cap was the common denominator. But then why would that set off the 'check transmission' light? Very strange.

David